No hope facepalm/well that explains it

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

No hope facepalm/well that explains it

Post by vladimir »

From the PPP
Test takers say their prayers
Mon, 24 August 2015
Taing Vida and Alice Cuddy
On the eve of the grade 12 national exam students across Phnom Penh put down their revision notes and flocked to local pagodas and shrines yesterday, praying that they will pass the high-stakes test – and that the proctors will let them cheat.

With testing starting today, the desperate prayers came a year after radical reforms to the exam – which used to be rife with corruption and cheating – saw abysmal results, with 74 per cent of students failing.

This year, Education Minister Hang Chuon Naron said he is hopeful of a better outcome.

“When the reforms came last year, most of us were still in the habit of cheating, which made a lot of us nervous not to cheat.

The national exam this year will be easier than last year because students have been taught to be ready for this moment. I believe they will do well.”

But students interviewed yesterday didn’t share the minister’s optimism, with many choosing to spend their final hours praying that the reforms aren’t implemented.

At the Buddhist sanctuary Preah Ang Dorng Keur on the capital’s riverside, dozens doused themselves in holy water, burned incense, released birds and gave lotus flower offerings in a last-minute bid to have fortune on their side in the dreaded exam.

“This is the second time I’ve come here,” said Hek Chin Sou, 19.

“I’m wishing that I pass the exam; I don’t care about what grade I get. I’m praying that I meet good people who let me copy their answers.” :facepalm:

After lighting incense, 18-year-old Chheng Sodavon said she, too, hoped to cheat in today’s exam.

“I prayed that all the teachers and observers are good and not too strict.

I hope that if we cheat in a small way, like reading each other’s answers, they will let us.”

Despite this being the second year of the reformed exam, Sodavon – who, like many students interviewed, holds down a job as well as studying – said she thinks it is still too soon for anti-cheating measures to be implemented.

“I’m so jealous of the older people [who could cheat]. The reforms should have been slower.”

However, with pledges of even tougher measures this year, many students’ prayers of cheating are likely to go unanswered.

In addition to punishments for proctors caught selling answers and accepting bribes, Chuon Naron said cafes and photocopying shops next to schools – where cheat sheets regularly used to be exchanged – will be shut down for the duration of the two-day test.

Heang Lang, who runs a photocopying shop next to Sisowath High School, said he welcomed what he saw as an extra public holiday, despite having profited from cheat sheets in the past.

“People would come here with sheets of answers and sometimes I would photocopy them and sell them to the students,” he said.

“This year, students have only come to make copies of their lesson notes.”

Inside the high school, many said the strict reforms had made traditional methods of cheating impossible.

“Even if I could buy a copy of the exam, one night isn’t enough time to learn all the answers,” said one student, as he prepared to pray at a pagoda.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: No hope facepalm/well that explains it

Post by Username Taken »

It's not fair!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

A young Khmer friend was furious that when he sat the Year 12 exam (for which he'd paid for the answers) the government swapped in a Year 9 exam and caught out both the students and the proctors - the thing that amazes/amuses me is that he's adamant that he's been wronged.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Definitely not fair.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Facebook source.