Khmer Rouge 'first lady' Ieng Thirith dies:Cambodia tribunal

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Khmer Rouge 'first lady' Ieng Thirith dies:Cambodia tribunal

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Khmer Rouge 'first lady' Ieng Thirith dies: Cambodia tribunal

PHNOM PENH (AFP) - The former "first lady" of Cambodia's murderous Khmer Rouge regime, Ieng Thirith, died on Saturday, according to a UN-backed tribunal.

The tribunal stayed its trial of her in 2012 on charges of genocide and crimes against humanity due to her ill health.

"The accused passed away at approximately 10.30am on 22 August in Pailin, Cambodia," the tribunal said in a statement.

The case against her was suspended after the court ruled that dementia had left her unfit to stand trial.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asi ... a-tribunal

Ieng Thirith (née Khieu;[1] Khmer: អៀង ធីរិទ្ធ;[2] 10 March 1932[3] – 22 August 2015) was an influential figure in the Khmer Rouge, but was neither a member of the Khmer Rouge Standing Committee nor of the Central Committee.[4] Ieng Thirith was the widow of Ieng Sary, who was minister of foreign affairs of Democratic Kampuchea's Khmer Rouge regime. She served as Minister of Social Affairs from October 1975 until the fall of the Khmer Rouge in 1979.[5]

She was the sister of the late Khieu Ponnary (died in 2003), who was the first wife of Pol Pot. Thirith was the Minister of Social Action during the regime.[6] She was arrested by the Extraordinary Chamber in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) in November 2007 with her husband, Ieng Sary as suspect of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Born Khieu Thirith in northwestern Cambodia's Battambang Province,[7] she came from a relatively wealthy and privileged family, and was the second daughter of a Cambodian judge who abandoned the family during World War II, running off to Battambang with a Cambodian princess.[8]

Thirith graduated from the Lycée Sisowath in Phnom Penh, and while still in Cambodia she became engaged to Ieng Sary, who attended Lycée in the year above her. She went on to Paris with her sister, where she studied English literature, majoring in Shakespeare at the Sorbonne. She became the first Cambodian to achieve a degree in English literature. Thirith married Ieng Sary in the town hall of Paris' 15th arrondissement the summer of 1951 and took her husband's name, becoming Ieng Thirith.[8] Her older sister, Khieu Ponnary, later became the wife of Pol Pot. Together, the two sisters and their husbands later became known as "Cambodia's Gang of Four", a reference to the radical group led by Jiang Qing (Chiang Ching), the widow of Mao Tse-tung.[9

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ieng_Thirith

More about Ieng Thirith's crime from ECCC

Biography
Ieng Thirith graduated from the Lycée Sisowath in Phnom Penh then went to study in Paris, where she majored in Shakespeare studies at the Sorbonne. She became the first Cambodian to receive a degree in English Literature. Returning to Cambodia in 1957, she worked as a professor before founding a private English school in 1960. On 9 October 1975, at a meeting of the CPK Standing Committee, Ieng Thirith was allegedly appointed Minister of Social Affairs in Democratic Kampuchea. She allegedly remained with the Khmer Rouge until her husband Ieng Sary was granted a Royal amnesty and pardon in 1998. Thereafter, they lived together in Phnom Penh until being placed in pre-trial detention by the ECCC in November 2007.

source: http://www.eccc.gov.kh/en/indicted-person/ieng-thirith
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
BOFH
Expatriate

Re: Khmer Rouge 'first lady' Ieng Thirith dies:Cambodia trib

Post by BOFH »

I hope it was painful.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

No I am not sad at all.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
GonzoBobH
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GonzoBobH »

BOFH wrote:I hope it was painful.

"She was arrested in 2007, along with her husband, and refused to cooperate with the court, consistently denying responsibility for the crimes committed during the regime’s four-year rule.

In an outburst in court in 2009, she told her accusers they would be “cursed to the seventh circle of hell”.

“I don’t know why a good person is accused of such crimes and I have suffered a great deal and I cannot really be patient because I have been wrongly accused,” she said."

She sounds like such a sweet old lady /s
It's all foma ~ kv
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

She was very snobbish! When I went to watch the trial, I was waiting since the morning till afternoon to see her, but she didn't come to join the trial. I wonder why they can live better than many Cambodians? They killed too many people, but the rest of their lives were very luxurious!!!
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

2 gone
2 to go ?
I kinda lost count...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

She was a really nasty woman. I listened to a few hours of her interviews with Elizabeth Becker that were made in late 1978. She was obviously a very intelligent woman but lied a whole lot about what was going on in "Democratic Kampuchea". Her statements in the ECCC showed this. She was appalled that she was even brought before the court, as far as she was concerned she was so highly educated that she shouldn't have had to deal with any accusations from any mere minions. Burn in hell bitch.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic