Dual pricing - is it fair ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Dual pricing - is it fair ?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i dont care tbh, the vast majority of the time i usually pay/get charged the real/local price, there was a lot of comments on the discussion saying that its racist, when its not..
i find it shocking at how butt hurt some people are about it, it would be comical but its pathetic
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Advocatus Diaboli wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote: Not at all comparable. I think that it is fair to have local prices for locals, that's all.
Hell, why would you think that ?...just interested, you know. To me a product has a price, and that price has nothing to do with my complexion nor with my nationality.
Ok. IMO it is normal for local people to be able to afford the price of access to their natural treasures. ie. ruins, lakes, waterfalls, beaches, whatever, because I think that somewhere along the line they have a certain "ownership" of Cambodia's natural spots. I agree that it would be cool if we all paid 1000r entry, but that's not going to pay enough to empty the rubbish.
Because of the disparity in income, I don't mind paying (a little bit) more to go to these places. If i think it is too much then i will put on a khmer hat and sunglasses and "act my way in" with a "dirkdirk dikadika" attitude. :assasin: (Team America F'k yeah.) Then, I will either get thrown out or I'll pay them a beer. :beer3:

Seriously, when I go to a public park/reserve in Cambodia where Cambodians pay half as much as me - no, I don't like being treated differently, as a foreigner (poor me, hurt feelings), but i can more than afford to pay that when the people I'm with are earning $80-180 a month.
As long as it's written up there on big signs and it's the official price and it's reasonable, then it's ok. If your khmer is good enough for you to argument your way in at Khmer price, that's ok too.
So that's my reasoning AD.
@Jamie - sometimes it's a shame i don't do FB. LOL
i agree AM

aww yeah, Samouth actually invited me into the group for it lol it all started off with someone trolling the girl who wrote it then it all exploded, entertaining :P
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:ahhh not this again hahahah you seen the big discussion on facebook about this? me and Samouth have been "debating" it lol
https://www.facebook.com/groups/siemrea ... ment_reply

"ive always known the local prices as when i first came here i had a khmer gf for 8months, i know how much everything should cost, if they try charge more i tell them in khmer then they are happy to give local prices, i dont mind paying tourist prices sometimes, you expect it, if i ask for something in khmer, i always get the local prices, and when they do, ill often give them a tip or let them keep the change, but am i really going to argue with a poor woman in the market over $1?? pathetic, just like this article! 95% of my friends here are khmer, i see how they live and how most of them struggle, calling them racist because theyre trying to survive? if i go out with my local friends i dont get over charged, if i was alone maybe, im self employed, i work in construction, i work out my prices based on the customer, if i think i can get away with charging more for a job then i will give them a higher price, does that make me racist? does it fuck, they just see whats in you pockets, it happens all over the world, go to any touristy area in any country and you will see inflated prices, stop being butt hurt if you dont like this country im sure you can afford to leave..."

was my initial comment on the post, it has 220comments -_-
hahaha yes, the number of comment is still increasing and there were some referring to me, i will have to reply to them tomorrow.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

The most amusing part is that Lina has subsequently heavily edited her article and now people are going; "that's not what she said" - it fucking well was what she said. Ethical journalism 101 - if you update an article, you make it clear that you've done so. No surprises here in Cambodia that's not what has happened.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

haha yep
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic