Haitians eat dirt cookies to survive?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Haitians eat dirt cookies to survive?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

John Bingham wrote:Haiti can be compared to Cambodia in its deforestation and environmental destruction.
I was just about to mention that. It's the cause of a lot of problems there, including mudslides and soil erosion.
In 1923 over 60% of Haiti's land was forested. In 2006, less than 2% of the land was forested.
Cambodia is following in Haiti's footsteps at an even faster pace.

Also, I think it's very fair to say Cambodia has benefited way more from Vietnamese and Thai trade over the past few decades than those two countries have benefited from Cambodia. It's a hard truth, but Cambodia is a tiny market, so it's not like exporting to Cambodia ads a lot to the total revenue of Thai/Viet companies. On the other hand, if Cambodia was suddenly not allowed to get any imports from Thailand and Vietnam, the country would come to a standstill. Look in the average home: 90% of items come from these two countries. Sure, rice by grown locally, but most vegetables come from Vietnam. The plate you eat on, the spoons we use, dish soap, motorbikes, TVs and so on all come from either Vietnam or Thailand. If Cambodia closed its borders to Thai or Vietnamese products, those countries would barely notice the difference. However, if they implemented a trade embargo and refused to export to Cambodia, the country would fall to its knees. Prices would go up, inflation would ensue and people would quickly go hungry... Cambodia is far from being self-sufficient.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
lakesidejunkie
Expatriate

Post by lakesidejunkie »

haiti is in the caribbean you dumbshit
cambodia is a shithole .......

but i like it here.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

the Khmer family I visit almost yearly have a large front yard, always in the sun, the only thing they grow in it is grass. They did not even bother to water the one pepper plant I saw one year (probably a volunteer) to increase yield, tho the daughter picked from it occasionally. It's waste of a big space. My Thai gf grows LOTS of things in a front yard 1/6 th the size, yet there too a much larger front yard area goes unused except to drive vehicles around on willy nilly

Does Cambodia even make soap? I'm reminded of the Foxfire series of books and how the old timers in the Appalachians grew and made much of what they needed and used. and that was in rocky, steep land with winters. I would much prefer to sit on a chair with woven hickory split strands than a plastic stack chair.

Perhaps Cambodia could send Haiti some of it's rice as a good will gesture.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

lakesidejunkie wrote:haiti is in the caribbean you dumbshit
Fuck you, dumpass never make mistake.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

The poorest country in America.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

prahkeitouj wrote:The poorest country in America.
According to the first link of a quick google search, based on gross domestic product per capita from 2009 to 2013, Haiti is the 20th poorest country in the world and Cambodia the 43rd.
I would bet that in 10 years time, Haiti will still hold it's rank while Cambodia will have climbed up the ladder.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:The poorest country in America.
According to the first link of a quick google search, based on gross domestic product per capita from 2009 to 2013, Haiti is the 20th poorest country in the world and Cambodia the 43rd.
I would bet that in 10 years time, Haiti will still hold it's rank while Cambodia will have climbed up the ladder.
In case the PM is not changed.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic