greeting in your culture

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: greeting in your culture

Post by prahkeitouj »

Hehehe.. it reminds me when I was with my teacher, I hugged her. But when I was with my friend I was about to hug her in front of her fiance... hehe embarrassed !
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:Hehehe.. it reminds me when I was with my teacher, I hugged her. But when I was with my friend I was about to hug her in front of her fiance... hehe embarrassed !
I don't find it embarrassing and you also know it. It is really fine for Cambodian women to hug each other, the only thing that can draw people to look at is when Cambodian men hug each other haha.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

women hugging each other in modern culture now i think is quite widely acceptable in most places,

i think the most embarrasing time when hugging is if you go in to hug someone and they lean/step away haha oops :shock: :sorry: not like it ever happens to me ;) :friends: (actually i remember 1 time, it was awkward, very awkward hahaha)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:women hugging each other in modern culture now i think is quite widely acceptable in most places,

i think the most embarrasing time when hugging is if you go in to hug someone and they lean/step away haha oops :shock: :sorry: not like it ever happens to me ;) :friends: (actually i remember 1 time, it was awkward, very awkward hahaha)
If you hug with the same body language as in your avatar, I am surprised you don't experience this kind of reaction more often :beer3:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:women hugging each other in modern culture now i think is quite widely acceptable in most places,

If you hug with the same body language as in your avatar, I am surprised you don't experience this kind of reaction more often :beer3:

:ROFL: haha :plus1: :beer3:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Of course! Same same...! She stepped away... hahhhah... Image
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:Hehehe.. it reminds me when I was with my teacher, I hugged her. But when I was with my friend I was about to hug her in front of her fiance... hehe embarrassed !
I don't find it embarrassing and you also know it. It is really fine for Cambodian women to hug each other, the only thing that can draw people to look at is when Cambodian men hug each other haha.
Hehheh.. people look at you even though woman and woman. When I was at the university, one of my friend liked to hug me then some friends as us when we get married? Image
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I have an almost Arabic gesture I use when greeting in a new culture, touching the heart and then lips with a slight bow - the beauty of it is that no-one ever questions it as clearly it's part of my culture and therefore should be respected...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

StroppyChops wrote:I have an almost Arabic gesture I use when greeting in a new culture, touching the heart and then lips with a slight bow - the beauty of it is that no-one ever questions it as clearly it's part of my culture and therefore should be respected...
Is there any particular reason why you do that SC?

After working so long in Muslim countries, I quite often find myself placing my right palm on my chest after shaking someone's hand no matter where in the world I am, I sometimes get some odd looks %)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:I have an almost Arabic gesture I use when greeting in a new culture, touching the heart and then lips with a slight bow - the beauty of it is that no-one ever questions it as clearly it's part of my culture and therefore should be respected...
Is there any particular reason why you do that SC?

After working so long in Muslim countries, I quite often find myself placing my right palm on my chest after shaking someone's hand no matter where in the world I am, I sometimes get some odd looks %)
It actually started legitimately when in Islamic areas of Indonesia and kind of stuck - I catch myself doing it in Australia, which also gets odd looks... these days I struggle to not bow 'appropriately' to everyone I meet.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic