A good estate agent and moto-driver in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
doughainsworth
Tourist

A good estate agent and moto-driver in Phnom Penh

Post by doughainsworth »

Really looking forward to coming to Phnom Penh with my family at the end of August (2015). I am wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good estate agent to help us find a flat, and a good mot-driver who could be hired monthly to take our kids to school.

Thanks!
flying chicken
Expatriate

Re: A good estate agent and moto-driver in Phnom Penh

Post by flying chicken »

I used to know a few in PP hire a tuk tuk for a fixed price of $50 a month taking their kids to and from school daily. Best you get to know the particular driver first.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

doughainsworth wrote:Really looking forward to coming to Phnom Penh with my family at the end of August (2015). I am wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good estate agent to help us find a flat, and a good mot-driver who could be hired monthly to take our kids to school.

Thanks!
You're probably better off staying in a hotel or serviced apartment for a week and looking when you get here for accommodation. Most estate agents that deal with overseas enquiries are robbery merchants (massive uplift on monthly rental costs). Once you know exactly where you want to live - you can get a tuk-tuk driver to take you round and help you find properties or contact an agency on the ground or just go through listings to find a place...
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

The standard commission for an agent is 1 months rent. So you'll be paying for that in extra rent every month, unless you engage one of the rip off agency's mentioned by Grinch. Take a look at AirBnb for a month. I wouldnt want to be in a guesthouse with kids.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Perhaps you shouldn't put your kids on a moto.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

There is no such thing as a good real estate agent in Cambodia. :stir:
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

LOL. Check out the Siem Reap real estate page and room rental. Monthly rent starts around $250, a bit of leg work you could find similar accommodation for half less. The one month commission gets by the real estate agent isn't too bad comparing to them making behind the back deal getting a certain % fee from your rental cost every month.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic