I am Sisyphus

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: I am Sisyphus

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Good piece, though I'd say the locals love their new-found deities just as much if not more than their western counterparts. Just look at them taking countless selfies with mugs of coffee from Brown...
Had to wait for one muppet taking a selfie of herself at the milk aisle at Lucky's today.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

^ You should try to get in her shot...
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:Whining isn't the human condition! The human condition encompasses many aspects of being human.

My present unfulfilling existence is one I'm willing to accept as it drives me toward my goal of returning to SEA.

And I was trying to draw comparisons as I see them between the ordered, uniform nature of western living for many as apposed to a more individua and choatic way of living I've experienced in SEA which I find more enjoyable, although it seems it was poorly attempted coming across instead as whiny to some.

Just thought I'd like to try writing something and contribute to CEO in a different way.

Thanks for the feedback, Soi Dog.
I didn't mean to criticize the writing, which was done well. I enjoyed reading your post, and it made me think. I hope you contribute more.

We are in a similar boat in some respects. I was just pointing out the "grass is always greener" aspect. There will always be things some don't like in the West and other things some don't like in SE Asia. Human nature all too often seems to focus on the negative aspects of any situation, or to make questionable things seem desirable due to misplaced nostalgia. "Chaos" is only attractive from the sidelines and in small doses. Believe me, when genuine chaos hits your life directly, you will be praying for it to end. Enjoy your time back in the West. Your life is not "on hold" until you get back to Cambodia. Your life is happening now, too.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

FreeSocrates! wrote:^ You should try to get in her shot...
I usually do, but the positioning was awkward - it would probably have ended with me meeting her family, and Mrs Stroppy being very unhappy with me.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Nice post Kung Fu. I know what you mean, I enjoy certain aspects of my visits back to the Uk but my over riding impression after a week or two is that it feels very mundane and I yearn for the vibrancy of Asia.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nightmare.believer »

Sisyphus,
When you get nearly to the top of the hill...fuck it...step to the side and let the ball crash down on all the squares. Walk up to the top of the hill.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Well put Hillbilly. The predictability and the banality pretty much sums up why I got jaded in Australia too.
Singularian
Expatriate

Post by Singularian »

There is predictability everywhere, eventually.

For instance, I predict that at 10.07am next Monday Hotdigr will be at the Reef Resort eating breakfast :)

The banality of life is needed to make the non banal bits stick out. Even excitement gets boring eventually.

Personally I like the boring bits, they remind me of the need to keep moving, physically and mentally, and to never forget that winter is coming and I shall one day be rent assunder and returned to the dust of the stars.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Singularian wrote:
Personally I like the boring bits, they remind me of the need to keep moving, physically and mentally, and to never forget that winter is coming and I shall one day be rent assunder and returned to the dust of the stars.
You're quite the poet.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Singularian
Expatriate

Post by Singularian »