What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

Post by OrangeDragon »

any 3g service where you are?
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Nope only Edge and so crappy. Even though the signal say it's fine the internet drops off for several minutes at a time. Plays havoc on my design software that uses the internet to occasionally verify my key is valid.
khmerinade
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by khmerinade »

I don't miss the sense of entitlement so many people back in the states have. I also don't miss hearing about all their terrible and difficult FWP's.

"The one day I try to sleep in, my maid wakes me up."

"I’m hungry… but not for any of the food in my house."

"Wife bought me a Google Chrome Cast, now I have more HDMI devices than I have HDMI inputs."

Can't help but pity them....
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I don't miss the security screening I have to go through and the expensive doctor's visit just to get some bloody over-priced cold medicine.

I don't miss not being able to get even the worst job, simply because I'm white.

I don't miss the stuck-up cows who thinks the sun shines out of their titanic arses.

I don't miss not being able to go to a simple restaurant because it's so bloody expensive.

I don't miss having to check out the street to see if it's safe to walk out my front door.

I don't miss 20% tax and 14% GST/VAT

I don't miss Cape Town winters, howling wind and driving rain.

I don't miss having to bum lifts off people because of the almost non-existent transport service in my area.

Enough?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Singularian
Expatriate

Post by Singularian »

khmerinade wrote:I don't miss the sense of entitlement
This.

In my country it's more the welfare state and what it has done to our country. More than half the population is subject to some form of goverment largesse. This has been brought on by succesive politicians buying elections with OUR own money by targeting blocks of voters with family subsides, interest free student loans etc. Of course this results in higher taxes, direct or indirect, to pay for all the promises.

The end result is a loss of quality of life for all citizens as the tax churn saps their earnings. Easier for many to just give up as the goverment will provide. Round and round. Sigh! No government is keen enough to repeal any of the subsides because people feel entitled to this "free" money.

I sold a couple of transport based businesses I had 2 years ago. I worked out my net tax rate on them, from direct income taxation and indirect taxes ( road user charges, fuel taxes, ACC, truck registration etc ) was 68%. I mean wtf?, why bother? I was starting at 5am and working most days till 6pm in addition to two other online enterprises with my wife in the evenings and weekends. Totally pointless.

Now I'm cashed up, employ no one except one accountant who minimises my liability to the rapacious bastards and shall spend the rest of my days devising ways to pay them sweet fuk all. Feels good :D
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Singularian wrote:
This.
Yes, this, with bells on.

And paying 47.5% income tax, and a further 10% GST - working towards a self funded retirement while still funding the previous generation's retirement.

Knowing of people on disability pensions (you're welcome) who consider keeping an appointment at Centrelink a burden as it cuts into their surfing it golf time.

Insurance fraudsters that push premiums up for the rest of us.

FWPs.

Entitlement.
Last edited by StroppyChops on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

This absolutely! I have begins so sick and tired of this bulls**t. I once employed a trainee (admin) who wanted exclusive access to the pool car! I didn't get a car and I was her boss.... WTF
Using Tapatalk
Singularian
Expatriate

Post by Singularian »

Aren't the Antipodes wonderful?
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Singularian wrote:Aren't the Antipodes wonderful?
Europe is way, way worse in terms of the 'I'm entitled. Gimme that money!' mentality.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

In Cambodia, we have the opposite/for a different reason:

I'm rich, I can do what I like! I'm entitled to run over people, daddy's rich! So he stole the money, but he's rich!

I see a few barangs following this line of reasoning as well
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic