New malaria vaccine gets the go-ahead - world first.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

New malaria vaccine gets the go-ahead - world first.

Post by Anchor Moy »

Wow, a vaccine for malaria; this could be huge, a way to deal with the increasing amount of drug-resistance. Not sure if it is universal vaccine though. That would be ace.
(Apparently they have been working on this, so it's possible. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270654.php)

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 12432.html

The world’s first malaria vaccine has been recommended for use in Africa, bringing scientists a step closer to preventing hundreds of thousands of deaths each year.

It is hoped that the Mosquiriz jab, developed by GlaxoSmithKline and the Melinda Gates Foundation, will help stem the half a million malaria deaths every year.

More than 198 million people in sub-Saharans Africa were affected by the disease in 2013 alone and 80 per cent of those that die are children under five.

Although the vaccine, which will hopefully provide protection to thousands for as little as $5 each, has been approved by the European Medicines Agency it now needs the approval of health officials in the African region.

The World Health Organisation still needs to assess whether to recommend the use of the drug for children....
potty
Expatriate

Re: New malaria vaccine gets the go-ahead - world first.

Post by potty »

its no immunity, its only inhibition of the infection spreading. I understand.
how difficult is it, to target an invading organism in the body?
or better, why is it?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

potty wrote:its no immunity, its only inhibition of the infection spreading. I understand.
how difficult is it, to target an invading organism in the body?
or better, why is it?
Yeah, it's a bit confusing. But I think the thing is that once you're bitten by a malarial mosquito, the vaccine will prevent the malaria in your system from making you sick. You will test positive for malaria, but the parasite will be blocked and thus prevented from attacking the liver, rendering it harmless.
You will still be infected by malaria when you get bitten, but it will no longer make you sick and die. So, as you say, it doesn't actually prevent malaria; but if it stops people from getting sick, that's a fantastic breakthrough IMO. :Yahoo!:
I'm no expert, but this is what I understand from what I've read.
In July 2015 the EMA approved the vaccine with the recommendation that it should be used in Africa in babies at risk of getting malaria and RTS,S thus became the world's first malaria vaccine to get this approval
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTS,S

Any input from someone who knows about these things would be welcome.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

hope it saves lives in africa, malaria is a big killer!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Guinea pigs.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic