What plant is this?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: What plant is this?

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Yeah it's s'daw (maybe the official name is pkah sdaw), apparently it does have cooling properties. I don't think the root is eaten though.
[Edit]Pretty hard to find now. Just asked some sellers and they say it's mostly sold from March to April. Harder to find out of season.
No, eat the leaves and flowers - I don't know anything about eating the root so I wouldn't encourage that unless you find someone with more experience than I. I've never been able to buy it in the city (regardless of time of year) but we've found one seller at Central market. I think it's considered too yokel for the city locals, but common in the provinces.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Phka sdov - Melia Azedarach.

It is not a small shrub. It is a big tree.
StroppyGuy wrote: . . . but this is a small low growing bush (you can see the root stems)
That's not root stems. That is wood/stems.

Mrs. UT says you can buy in any market in PP at anytime of year. Is very common. Maybe, you need to go to a Khmer local market. It's there. Mrs. UT says it grows a lot in Battambang.

You're welcome. :hattip:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote:Phka sdov - Melia Azedarach.

It is not a small shrub. It is a big tree.
StroppyGuy wrote: . . . but this is a small low growing bush (you can see the root stems)
That's not root stems. That is wood/stems.

Mrs. UT says you can buy in any market in PP at anytime of year. Is very common. Maybe, you need to go to a Khmer local market. It's there. Mrs. UT says it grows a lot in Battambang.

You're welcome. :hattip:
Oh, okay, so maybe it is the Indian neem tree. We shop for fruit and vegetables almost exclusively in Khmer markets and when we ask for it the answer is almost universal - 'not have'.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Sdov and neem are one and the same. My father-in-law took it pre Pol Pot period to cure malaria.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote:Sdov and neem are one and the same. My father-in-law took it pre Pol Pot period to cure malaria.
I'm told it assists AND prevents pregnancy, and even raises the dead.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Don't know about those claims Stroppy, but father-in-law is still alive.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Don't know about those claims Stroppy, but father-in-law is still alive. As an update my wife claims locals keep it near chicken coops to keep lice away.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote:Don't know about those claims Stroppy, but father-in-law is still alive.
In all seriousness this is good to hear - I've been wondering about any side effects of long term use. Known to be good for diabetes and psoriasis.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

As far as I know, Cambodians like to eat the boiled/steamed leaves with steamed prahok.

Cool to know about its therapeutic properties!

By the way, if you're interested in Cambodia's fruits, plants and flowers, there is a book called Cambodian Medicinal Plants, published by the Ministry of Health, iirc. It lists down pretty much all flowers, fruits, vegetables, roots that can be found in Cambodia and it gives for each information on physical characteristics, habitat, parts used, chemical constituents and their medicinal use and mode of administration.

I remember my former boss bought it at International Book Center but it was years ago.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Sounds like a good book - any poster have a copy of this?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic