Can you swim ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

CAN YOU SWIM?

YES
88%
NO
12%

Total votes: 26
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Can you swim ?

Post by TheGrinchSR »

My parents were incredibly keen for us to learn to swim. We learned the basics when living in a 5 star hotel in Africa when we were very young (it was the only expat accommodation of any standard in the whole country at the time). This was a bit of a mistake because I ended up catching a fungal ear infection which would render me deaf for 3 years...

Then once we returned to the UK we were packed off for weekly swimming lessons. Despite having no real love for swimming - I passed my lifesaving qualifications and could swim more than 2 miles back then. Fortunately, it's a bit like riding a bike and you never forget how to swim once you've learned. Otherwise a near 15 year break before starting to swim again would have left me drowning in the pool...
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Pretty much the same as me, houses in Africa always had pools or there were public pools in larger towns.

Did a lot of surfing when we moved to the coast, paddling out in big surf will get you fit chop chop.

Did some lifesaving training/PT work.

Would have to abort the twins now to swim well again.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Samouth wrote:i think i should write about them to share with you guys.
Please do! Parental discipline always leads to interesting discussion.
Wow, sorry Stroppy Chop that i kept you waiting for so long.

Here are some false belief what they used to discipline us

1. They tell us to eat the end of sugar cane, so that we would be able to swim and also the tail of the fish. They teach us to respect old people and keep good stuff for them.

2. They tell us not to eat rich in the pot or rice cooker, as it would make us not to go further or would not be upgraded at school. They teach us to eat properly. Eating rice in the pot or rice cooker doesn't look good.

3. They tell us not to eat chicken or duck eggs there didn't hatch as it would make us not to go further or would not be upgraded at school. They don't want us to eat that egg because it is not healthy.

I think little salary might have something more to add. I will write more if i can think of other.
1- of course ! Old people told me to eat the end of cane and fish's eyes if I wanted to swim.

2. I liked to sing while I was cooking. but my mum said if I sing in the kitchen , my future husband must be widow/ divorced. I was afraid it would become true so I stopped singing in the kitchen. But when I grew up, my told me that they just wanted me to concentrate on cooking, not singing.

3. When I was young, my grandma always asked us to put our hands together ( sorm pah ) on the pillow and recite a sentence( i rememeber some of those words but not a full sentence) before sleeping. She said we do like this to pray for not pee at night. Many kids pee while they are sleeping. Fortuenately, my sisters and I always respected the decipline and it worked well.

4. When kids can eat some porrigde or rice, old people always feed them with chicken eggs because they believe that chicken can make the kids forget their previous lives. We don't want kids remember their previous lieves because we believe in cycle life.
Great input little salary.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

prahkeitouj wrote:Old people told me to eat the end of cane and fish's eyes if I wanted to swim.
Old people are cunning.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

StroppyChops wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:Old people told me to eat the end of cane and fish's eyes if I wanted to swim.
Old people are cunning.
Yes, i think so. :-)
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Today i went to swim in the pool at Olympic stadium for the second time after i have been living here for more than 5 years. It was great actually as i managed to realise that i do can swim. I was not scared at all as there were five skilled swimmers were watching us. I thought that they would jump in to save me if i drowned. So i just jumped in and just swam. I swam back and forth in the 50 meter pool. Not to mention, i also managed to jump in the 8 meter deep pool which i have never done before and also have never wanted to do so.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

vladimir wrote:k.

Would have to abort the twins now to swim well again.
You mean your water-wings? At least you will never sink. :lol:

@Samouth: :thumb:
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Well done, Samouth!
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

I had so much fun actually. I planned to go there at least once a week. BTW the price of the entrance ticket has risen up as i paid only 0.75 before now it is 1 dollar. I also asked those skilled swimmers if they are providing swimming lesson. They do actually. I went to ask three different of them and price given were all different. One charges 120 dollar per month, 5 days/ per week. Other charges 100 dollar and another one charges 80 dollar per month. FYI, the ministry of education is planing to renovate the pool to make it more fancy i would say, so they will close the pool from entry at least 6 months until the work is done. The renovation work will start soon.

Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

I am always fascinated that all Europeans i know are all good swimmer. One of my friend just told me that she got her swimming certificate when she was 6 years old. To me it sounds really unbelievable, yet she is not Cambodian though. So i searched kid swimming on youtube and here what i found.

I wonder what age were you when you were tossed into the water for the first time?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic