Mau Son

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
sure
Expatriate

Mau Son

Post by sure »

Trip report: Mẫu Sơn

Wikipedia explains Mẫu Sơn as:

Mount Mẫu Sơn is a mountain in Lộc Bình District, Lạng Sơn Province, in northeastern Vietnam. It is located about 170 km northeast of the capital Hanoi, about 30 km east of Lạng Sơn City, and close to the international border between Vietnam and China. The highest peak of the Mount Mẫu Sơn reaches about 1,600 m above sea level.

Mount Mẫu Sơn has been settled by the Yao people. In the early 20th century, the French built a military base on the mountain followed by a cluster of villas in 1936. The French installations on Mount Mẫu Sơn have since fallen into disrepair and only ruins remain of the buildings

Trip started from Hanoi and headed north on Highway 1 to Lang Son but i don't particularly like the highways on my motorbike so i took a detour via Road 234B which passes Chi Lang then to road 235B and the town of Tan Thanh.

We stocked up on fuel and food before going up to Mẫu Sơn. The road which climbs the mountain is smooth and semi well maintained with guard rails for over 95% of the road which makes the road very safe it is only single lane but we traversed the mountain on a Friday and came down on a Saturday with minimal traffic.

Mẫu Sơn township itself is quiet boring but the view is spectacular. 360 views of the mountains and valleys the buildings are the selling point with french colonial buildings some being maintained and some decaying away.

check the photos out here.. http://www.vietist.com/?p=26

Never been to Bokor but id say it would be similiar? only very small but
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Mau Son

Post by Anchor Moy »

Great post. Funnily enough it does look like Bokor to me - the mist and the atmosphere of the French colonial ruins have the same eeriness.
Nice.
sure
Expatriate

Post by sure »

Thanks I do quiet alot.of riding in the mountains on Vietnam the place is amazing.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Vietnam is smart enough to get other countries to chop down their own trees for the timber it needs.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

vladimir wrote:Vietnam is smart enough to get other countries to chop down their own trees for the timber it needs.
Don't worry, they have deforested large parts of their own country.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hanno wrote:
vladimir wrote:Vietnam is smart enough to get other countries to chop down their own trees for the timber it needs.
Don't worry, they have deforested large parts of their own country.
But very hard to keep up with Cambodian deforestation rate. (Sings: We are the champions. )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic