I witnessed violent intervention at street 51

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: I witnessed violent intervention at street 51

Post by General Mackevili »

Garry.Crabtree wrote:I'v been mugged a few times, here and elsewhere, and at the end of the day what's the point in fighting back? I'm no tough guy and even if I was, why fight for a few bucks. Yes it sucks to lose out to a scumbag but life is just too important, and precious, to risk it all for a week salary.
Fair enough, bit the "point" for me is that people shouldn't be able to rob other people and the last person I want to have my stuff is someone who's just going to take it.

I've been robbed twice by people with guns. The first time, it was 2 dudes and the one with the gun was on the other side of a fence. The guy without the gun grabbed me, as he was already on my side of the fence, while the other guy had to take about 30 seConds to get around it. I was lucky enough to hit him hard enough to knock him out (meaning he hit the ground, I thought he was getting up ok so started to run off, but I realized he was still dizzy and falling over, so I grabbed some of my stuff that had fallen on the ground for a split second while he was still trying to get his bearings). Then I ran!

The most cooperative I've been was when I had a cocked-back revolver barrel in my mouth. It was kind of funny to see how little you're willing to resist when you truly feel you have no options, LoL.

I resisted a drunken Tuk-Tuk robbery a few years ago too.

I felt the odds were against me, but it turned out ok.

Tuk-Tuk driver started pulling over on a dark road where 2/3 guys were waiting. Once he stopped I tried to book it. I didn't make it far. Then I just attacked, which also didn't go too well. They were just holding me and I was getting kicked in the head and what not. I finally gave up and said, "ok, ok.." They eased up and we were all ready for me to kindly give them my phone, etc out of my pockets, but I felt I had another chance at that instant, so I took it. Ran like a mother fucker!

I know mathematically it doesn't make sense to resist over a phone and some pocket change, but I don't like being robbed and, stupid or not, I'm willing to risk my life time and time again to resist shit like that. I know sooner or later it might not work out well, but I'm ok with that and my family understands my position.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Looking for that job
Expatriate

Post by Looking for that job »

^well played GM great story . Maybe SQUF can hire you as his body guard . .It's either flight or fight . And sometimes fight and flight. I done them all. But a 5 foot Cambodian with a pen knife I am not delivering my cash.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

yeah good story GM, i'm not sure if ive ever actually been in a situation like that so its hard to say 100% how i would react, but ive been in plenty of situations where people have come at me with knives and bottles before and i know how ive handled myself then so i cant imagine it being that much different tbh, i guess being well built and covered in tattoos doesnt strike thieves as an easy target, i'm actually a little too trusting tbh i'm surprised ive never had my wallet and phone pinched as i always leave them sat on the bar when im drinking,

i was in a pub once drinking with my friends and i went to go buy a drink then realised my wallet wasnt in my pocked, i got angry and was questioning everyone that was in that pub trying to find out who pinched it, then about an hour or so later i found my wallet, id for some reason put it in my back pocket, felt a right prat hahaha
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Garry.Crabtree wrote:Sorry forget my customary joke.
Don't let it happen again.

You and your ilk are ruining this forum with so few jokes and puns, and staying on topic is wearing thin, too.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic