CELTA courses in Thailand

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: CELTA courses in Thailand

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote:I would even think about contacting "Conversations with Foreigners" and see if they'll let you in a classroom....
I'll play dumb and pretend I didn't just Google this, as it wouldn't add to the forum - tell us more about this "Conversation with Foreigners", theGeneral!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

The guy I knew, ( didn't answer my last email , maybe MIA!) , said the jobs were 5 hours a day, over 12 hours? How does that work?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

UKJ wrote:The guy I knew, ( didn't answer my last email , maybe MIA!) , said the jobs were 5 hours a day, over 12 hours? How does that work?
Split shift. It means they're not paying you for non teaching time at school, but I promise you'll be working.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

StroppyChops wrote:
UKJ wrote:The guy I knew, ( didn't answer my last email , maybe MIA!) , said the jobs were 5 hours a day, over 12 hours? How does that work?
Split shift. It means they're not paying you for non teaching time at school, but I promise you'll be working.
I checked the email, and he also said................... " No paid office hours. Lucky to clear $1000 per month".
Sounds harsh.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Exactly - unpaid non teaching time. You do your prep and marking for free. So, cut whatever the advertised hourly rate is by a half, or at best a third for a more experienced teacher. Not counting the hours you'll while away on Candy Crush filling in time because the class schedule is written to suit the school, not you.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

StroppyChops wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:I would even think about contacting "Conversations with Foreigners" and see if they'll let you in a classroom....
I'll play dumb and pretend I didn't just Google this, as it wouldn't add to the forum - tell us more about this "Conversation with Foreigners", theGeneral!
Request denied!

Actually, I know almost nothing of them, except they hire almost anyone, or let anyone volunteer.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
tingmoung
Tourist

Post by tingmoung »

I agree with most of what General Mackevili said.

Get your CELTA, if you want to teach English. You can find work at ACE and GET (and a few others) in Phnom Penh for over $20 per hour. Alternatively, you can work in the Persian Gulf for a few years and then relocate to PP.

Two of my associates worked in Saudi

Associate 1: CELTA + BA +zero experience = $35,000 per year + housing, airfare, healthcare all tax free.

Associate 2: CELTA + MA + over 10 years experience = $120,000 per year + housing, airfare, healthcare all tax free.

Yes, you can find work in PP without a CELTA. Every such job that I know of is underpaid and dehumanizing. Also, the initial cost of the CELTA should be thought of as an investment. You will rapidly make your money back.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

The OP didn't mention he had a degree though. With no degree, I've never seen a difference stated in TEFL v CELTA.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic