Chatroom Added

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Re: Chatroom Added

Post by Rain Dog »

Soi Dog wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:We'll see how this goes...

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/chat.php

Also a new button in the top navigation.
Nice. It will be an interesting experiment. But, on the other hand, if people are chatting then they are not necessarily posting in the forum as much as they normally might...which may make the numbers of new forum posts drop. We'll see how long it takes for trolls to emerge in the chatroom.

Agreed. It was my experience that Chat-rooms are the kiss of death for a forum. Some "Serious" forums like Chat Rooms as a way of removing banter from their more substantive threads, but seeing as this is a more socially oriented forum a chat-room becomes almost a conflict of interest. If the feature starts to become popular, they will need to keep a close eye on it.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

good luck
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

I can say that it works. Perhaps a schedule would be useful. Pretty dead now.

When would primetime be?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Can be pretty lonely in the chat room at times.

Any chance of letting on-line members see that there are others in the chat room?
Maybe something like a green light next to the Chat menu.
Or a pop-up showing that there are currently 'X' number of members in the chat room, or something.

I've dropped in a couple of times during today, and there was no-one there. Had an interesting session with Soi Dog last night. I learned a lot.

:roll:
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Yeah, I've been thinking this over today some as I saw the "no one's here" comments in there. Not yet sure of a good solution to it really.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

What about timestamps also on the posts, so we know how old they are?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

thePeck wrote:What about timestamps also on the posts, so we know how old they are?
LOL! We spent time bullying OD in beta testing the other night until he took the timestamps off, as they used to much territory which in turn made the chat window scroll too quickly.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

StroppyChops wrote:
thePeck wrote:What about timestamps also on the posts, so we know how old they are?
LOL! We spent time bullying OD in beta testing the other night until he took the timestamps off, as they used to much territory which in turn made the chat window scroll too quickly.
This... lol.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

The last time I was in a chatroom I met a girl and within minutes we were having cybersex.

Hey, let's just say, we just clicked.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic