Moving to Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BOFH
Expatriate

Re: Moving to Cambodia

Post by BOFH »

I'm such a big city kinda girl.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

TheGrinchSR wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:FYI; you live in THE most wonderful place on earth>
if ur earning good money there fuck Cambodia for work
visit yes but dont give up the bay area!!

I lived in the city in 1972-74, and in Monterey in 97-98
my daughter lives up in Santa Rosa

Now to ur questions
the expat community is small and not that social
there is nothing like what u have in sf as far as arts or social things go, there is not even a movie theater
Last year there was ONLY 2 small supermarkets that stocked western goods, not sure if another has opened
all SR has going for it is the temples and millions of tourists.
if u get place outside town it could be nice, i have a few close friend that live up there

I'd say u can easily live for two of ya on $1,500/month

Tax should be handled by ur company and u still have to file US tax but you will not be double tax'd

As safe as anywhere but always be aware of where you are and dont go wandering around the streets late/drunk, much of the crime is the quick grab an snatch or house break ins

Depends on what experience he has

Gets very hot up there and when it rains it rains for months -not all the time but mostly short down pours which means it can get very humid
I tend to disagree that the community here is not very social, quite the opposite thanks to the limited amounts of things to do other than drink. In fairness too, we have a cinema as of today, 5 screen Cineplex. Minions and Jurassic World are our first two English language movies to be aired. And there are 5 supermarkets in town and several mini-mart versions of supermarkets too.

What Siem Reap really has going for it, is a quiet life. It's not a big city - it's a small town with big city pretensions. You don't move here for the nightlife, you move here to get away from nightlife.
^^^Yes, this. It's what I want, having recently failed (happily) to find an affordable apartment in Phnom Penh. I had passed over SR because I thought I wanted to live (again) in the capital. But it's far from quiet and accommodation has gotten really expensive. Change of plan.

When I visited SR a couple of months ago for the first time in 10 years, I found expat and local folks were pretty nice. I toured all the supermarkets on a recon for the purposes of living in SR. Looks like it's got what I want, but then, I lived in Cambodia before, in Phnom Penh. And you can always go to the capital for restocking of specialty things. You can fly now SR-PP.

SR's got a nice north-south river park dividing the city, with the entertainment zone concentrated in one area on the west side. Lots of great food for all tastes and some noisy bars as well as some cool bars. Of course, having a world heritage site Angkor Wat complex nearby is not too shabby either.

I'm moving from Thailand in the next month or two. I prefer Cambodia.

Edit: Do join that FB page Expats and Locals Living in Siem Reap.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I sent a PM, still in my outbox so I probably missed you.
-insert signature here
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

I think Siem Reap is a great place to live. i have been there quite a few times and felt in love with it. Every time i was there i always had great fun. I have a friend working at the airport there and he always tried to persuade me to get a job and live there. Maybe i am moving there in the near future when i am bored with Phnom Penh.

I felt Siem Reap is a lot of more safer than Phnom Penh.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

AE86 wrote:I sent a PM, still in my outbox so I probably missed you.
AE86, you sent the PM to me? Or the OP?

If to me, sorry to report that I did not receive any messages from anyone. I checked my board prefs and everything is open to receive PMs.

FYI, I'm returning to SR end of July. But won't be visiting Phnom Penh on this trip. I think.
Last edited by ExPenhMan on Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Samouth wrote:I think Siem Reap is a great place to live. i have been there quite a few times and felt in love with it. Every time i was there i always had great fun. I have a friend working at the airport there and he always tried to persuade me to get a job and live there. Maybe i am moving there in the near future when i am bored with Phnom Penh.

I felt Siem Reap is a lot of more safer than Phnom Penh.
Thanks for your thoughts, Samouth. I feel the same way. But I need to explore the city more and find "just the right apartment". For the right price.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i used to live in SR 2.5-3 years ago, used to love it, personally when i returned last year i felt a different vibe about the place, i went around a lot of the bars i used to drink in but they were dead, i hear HipHop nightclub burnt down aswell since i was last year, even that place was pretty dead last few times i went there last year, was pestered constantly by motodops trying to take me to find 'ladies' and wouldnt take no for an answer and follow me around on their bikes trying to convince me,
completely by pass it now, although i am tempted to give it another shot when i come back to the kingdom, just for a night..
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
GonzoBobH
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GonzoBobH »

Would you work in fucked up detroit?
Are you okay with your BF fucking whores there and leaving you, only to get get stabbed to death with a screwdriver by said girlfriend?
And if you reported it, YOU getting charged with the crime and have to pay 15,000 USD to get kicked out of the country to avoid spending the rest of your life in prison.

Shit like that.

It probably won't happen, but if those words printed on a forum by a stranger intimidates you, then you should probably pass on this.

Cheers,
GBH

PS I only partyinCambodia and don't live there; I live in Hanoi. But point still intended. :stir:
It's all foma ~ kv
Jaime H.
Tourist

Post by Jaime H. »

GonzoBobH wrote:Would you work in fucked up detroit?
Are you okay with your BF fucking whores there and leaving you, only to get get stabbed to death with a screwdriver by said girlfriend?
And if you reported it, YOU getting charged with the crime and have to pay 15,000 USD to get kicked out of the country to avoid spending the rest of your life in prison.

Shit like that.

It probably won't happen, but if those words printed on a forum by a stranger intimidates you, then you should probably pass on this.

Cheers,
GBH

PS I only partyinCambodia and don't live there; I live in Hanoi. But point still intended. :stir:
Nope, doesn't intimidate me the least bit. I found it more humorous, haha! Thanks!
GonzoBobH
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GonzoBobH »

Jaime H. wrote:
Nope, doesn't intimidate me the least bit. I found it more humorous, haha! Thanks!
Yea, I was just messing with ya. Enjoy.

Cheers

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/ ... ted-57849/
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/ ... penh-7238/
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/poli ... ant-85619/
It's all foma ~ kv
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic