"Survivor" Reality TV Show to be Filmed on Koh Rong Island

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

"Survivor" Reality TV Show to be Filmed on Koh Rong Island

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sihanoukville, Cambodia: The popular American Reality TV show, "Survivor," will begin filming next month on the island of Koh Rong, off the coast of Sihanoukville.

With so many foreigners previously dying on Koh Rong, it will be interesting to see if anyone actually ends up surviving this season.

Western women dying in Cambodia is typically pretty seldom compared to Western men, but more seem to have died here than anywhere else.

Preah Sihanouk tourism chief, Nou Sophal, thinks this is a huge promotion of Cambodia's tourism potential and said Survivor's 2 new seasons will be shown on CTN, a Cambodian TV station.

The film crew is already on Koh Rong Island setting things up, said Preah Sihanouk provincial governor, Chhit Sokhon.

Filming is scheduled to finish in July.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re:

Post by Soi Dog »

The contestants big test will be surviving their encounters with the Russians down there. I hope the Tourism Ministry pulls the filming permission at the last minute.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re:

Post by Sailorman »

He was pretty closed mouthed about it when I talked to him last week, but I believe this is being filmed at a friends bungalows on the island. They filmed the French Survivor there.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re:

Post by Samouth »

I want to go to koh rong again and see it. Will they allow people to see when filming?
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Re:

Post by Soi Dog »

Samouth wrote:I want to go to koh rong again and see it. Will they allow people to see when filming?
Nope. Having people hanging around watching would ruin the impression that the contestants were out in the dangerous wilderness "surviving".
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Re:

Post by Samouth »

Soi Dog wrote:
Samouth wrote:I want to go to koh rong again and see it. Will they allow people to see when filming?
Nope. Having people hanging around watching would ruin the impression that the contestants were out in the dangerous wilderness "surviving".
Ok i will wait until it comes out on TV then.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re:

Post by Anchor Moy »

Koh Rong again, right ?
Television’s longest running reality show, “Survivor,” which premiered its 30th season last night in the U.S., will shoot its next two seasons in Cambodia, according to officials, who said production was already underway on the tropical island resort of Koh Rong.
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/tvs- ... ong-78675/

Has everyone already forgotten what happened last time they tried to film a Survivor-type show there ? :facepalm:

In April 2013 the curse of Koh Rong struck with a vengeance - 2 people died - 1 dead of a heart attack (this is Cambodia) and 1 suicide. I hope that this time they remember to bring a full medical team with them instead of relying on the renowned expertise of Sihanoukville's emergency medical centres.

April 2013
French reality TV has been plunged into soul-searching over its future after two deaths on the nation's longest-running reality show: the tough desert island challenge, Koh-Lanta.
French police were on Tuesday preparing to examine the rushes of Koh-Lanta's latest shoot on a beach in Cambodia after 25-year-old contestant Gérald Babin died of a heart attack while filming the first episode of the new series. Participants in the show must survive on an uninhabited island by completing tough physical challenges, often to win food.

When Babin, a telephone counsellor from the outskirts of Paris, died during filming on 22 March, the channel said he had suffered from cramps during the first challenge. He was given first aid by the on-set doctor and evacuated to hospital where he died.

It was the first death on a French reality programme since the genre hit the country's TV screens more than a decade ago.

But after days of shocked headlines and several anonymous accounts claiming that Babin should have been taken to hospital more quickly, what media called "the curse of Koh-Lanta" struck again on Monday, when the production's doctor, Thierry Costa, was found dead in his hotel room near the set.

He left a suicide note, handwritten on hotel paper, in which he said his name had been sullied by insinuations that not enough was done for Babin and he couldn't stand the media pressure.
Costa, 38, a doctor from north-eastern France who had been in charge of medical support on the series for four years, administered first aid to Babin before he was taken to hospital.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/a ... s-cambodia
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: "Survivor" Reality TV Show to be Filmed on Koh Rong Isla

Post by General Mackevili »

These guys say they have been working on the Surviver show for the past 2 months.

Good bless them.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
BOFH
Expatriate

Re:

Post by BOFH »

Yeah well these guys said they are Secret Service and CIA.

Good bless them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic