Cracking Around Hinge Laptop

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Cracking Around Hinge Laptop

Post by StroppyChops »

From the bitter experience of too many third-parties that is munty-munty. If you don't need it to be portable it's probably time to add a screen, keyboard and mouse and use it in workstation mode.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

My HP Pavilion laptop suffered Destruction by Phnom Penh Cleaner who I believe routinely grabbed it by the screen and chucked it willy nilly for the thrill of it. Based on this experience I now have two new old ThinkPads (T500 and T43P models) with magnesium roll cages and steel hinges and such. About $300 for the pair.
Using Tapatalk
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

StroppyChops wrote:From the bitter experience of too many third-parties that is munty-munty. If you don't need it to be portable it's probably time to add a screen, keyboard and mouse and use it in workstation mode.
It's not that far gone, but you're right - it's gonna be a desktop now. Lost some pixels at the bottom of the screen is all. It is a I5 , 6gb, Vaio. If I don't move, open, and close it - I'll get a few more years. I'll keep it as a movie and music thieving machine probably, then later I'll pull the hard drive.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

wackyjacky wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:From the bitter experience of too many third-parties that is munty-munty. If you don't need it to be portable it's probably time to add a screen, keyboard and mouse and use it in workstation mode.
It's not that far gone, but you're right - it's gonna be a desktop now. If I don't move, open, and close it - I'll get a few more years. I'll keep it as a movie and music thieving machine probably.
Possibly for the best. I've changed out LCDs, keyboards, touch pads, components etc but have never seen hinges successfully repaired - it's why they're high on the list of things that have to be right for purchase.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

$52
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I'll be happy to take your $52 - after I pull the hard drive that is.
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Deal! Unless FLB wants to bid higher. What kind of machine is it?

Please don't tell those auctionhouse guys about it. It might upset them!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic