Meat that isn't meat

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Meat that isn't meat

Post by Anchor Moy »

Would you eat meat that isn't meat ? Read this and see if you change your mind.
I did. Maybe not yet, but think I could be persuaded eventually, if they get this right. :popcorn:

http://www.outsideonline.com/1928211/to ... ay-you-eat
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Meat that isn't meat

Post by Username Taken »

Had some Macca's at Tullamarine last December. I'm fairly certain that the 'all beef patty' contained no meat.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I heard an NPR podcast about Brown and his plant protein beef quest a few months back. I'd rather consume this stuff: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/29 ... _be_eaten/
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

wackyjacky wrote:I heard an NPR podcast about Brown and his plant protein beef quest a few months back. I'd rather consume this stuff: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/29 ... _be_eaten/
Problems with the cost apparently :
The burger is estimated to have cost around £250,000 ($383,875) to produce. That's roughly equivalent to 100,000 Big Macs at current UK prices, or almost 20 pounds of solid gold.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Used to eat soy mince a lot back home. Quite nice, tbh.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
GonzoBobH
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GonzoBobH »

(In Malaysia) ...some Chinese restaurants offer an exclusively vegetarian menu (Chinese : 素食, 斎) featuring Chinese dishes which resemble meat dishes in look and even taste, like "roast pork", fried "fish" with "skin" and "bones", and "chicken drumsticks" complete with a "bone". These vegetarian restaurants are run by proprietors who abstain from consumption of animal products as well as strong tasting vegetables and spices as way of life for religious reasons, and are essentially vegan. The meat analogues used are often locally produced as opposed to imported, and are made solely from ingredients like soy, gluten, mushrooms and tuber vegetables...."

I have taken coworkers to the local food courts in KL (lived there from 2003-06) that offerend the meatless dishes--but they couldn't (ever, to a one) tell that it was faux and wasn't real chicken, fish or beef. Baically there was a cart with a dozen or so trays of food that looked like beef and a vegetable, or seafood this, chicken that. You got to pick three or four dishes and they would charge you appropriately.

I loved it. I also love real beef, chicken, pork, seafood, whatever. But nobody every guessed that is was actually vegetarian (I eventually told them, of course).

There were a variety of food stall theres, not just the vegan stuff, to include a couple of places that fried fresh, whole fish--freaking yummy. :OD:

The Chinese locals I worked with told me it was once food for the "Royals" only, but I never could confirm this.

PS The location was in Ampang, a previousl communist stronghold, just outside the downtown area of KL. Hated KL, but sure do miss that place.
It's all foma ~ kv
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Save the plants!
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

GonzoBobH wrote:(In Malaysia) ...some Chinese restaurants offer an exclusively vegetarian menu (Chinese : 素食, 斎) featuring Chinese dishes which resemble meat dishes in look and even taste, like "roast pork", fried "fish" with "skin" and "bones", and "chicken drumsticks" complete with a "bone". These vegetarian restaurants are run by proprietors who abstain from consumption of animal products as well as strong tasting vegetables and spices as way of life for religious reasons, and are essentially vegan. The meat analogues used are often locally produced as opposed to imported, and are made solely from ingredients like soy, gluten, mushrooms and tuber vegetables...."

I have taken coworkers to the local food courts in KL (lived there from 2003-06) that offerend the meatless dishes--but they couldn't (ever, to a one) tell that it was faux and wasn't real chicken, fish or beef. Baically there was a cart with a dozen or so trays of food that looked like beef and a vegetable, or seafood this, chicken that. You got to pick three or four dishes and they would charge you appropriately.

I loved it. I also love real beef, chicken, pork, seafood, whatever. But nobody every guessed that is was actually vegetarian (I eventually told them, of course).

There were a variety of food stall theres, not just the vegan stuff, to include a couple of places that fried fresh, whole fish--freaking yummy. :OD:

The Chinese locals I worked with told me it was once food for the "Royals" only, but I never could confirm this.

PS The location was in Ampang, a previousl communist stronghold, just outside the downtown area of KL. Hated KL, but sure do miss that place.
Been a vegetarian to a near vegan stage for almost 3 years during my adolescent years. Later on in life dont quite understood why they ate imitated meat imported from Taiwan: A) they are more expensive than locally grown farm animals B) why faking tofu, soya and shits into chickens and ducks and self-proclaiming one is a vegetarian.

But I do concur with your experience though, it tasted good. And that period was the most healthiest and fittest period I ever experienced -- one of the tops in my year group at school in athletes and soccer.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic