Sugar consumption

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Sugar consumption

Post by vladimir »

I think also that the amount of meat they eat as they get richer increases radically, and they have also developed a taste for cold cuts and cheese, especially on pizzas and in hot dogs.

And then there is coca cola, and those dessert drinks...
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I worked in the sugar business in Africa for a couple of years, in a country similar in size and development to Cambodia our big ingredient customers were the national brewers churning out beer and soft drinks. Good general examples for explaining some increased consumption in developing countries as wealth improves. For developed countries it's all about processed foods driving increased indirect consumption.

Not to worry any of you cola addicts but just googling the stats, if you drink 4 cans of regular cola a day you're right up there with the heaviest sugar consumers in the world and taking in 6 times more sugar than WHO guidelines.

Now where is that low cal Guinness smiley. Ah fuck it :beer3: :popcorn: :beer2:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

vladimir wrote:Kuroneko, I read somewhere that fructose has been deliberately used because it shuts down the body's message telling us we are full. So the companies are addicting us so we buy more. Correct? And when people tried to get it banned, the fast food clowns used lawyers to get around it.
Pretty much yes, here's an extract from a NY times article. Note the authors K Page, and R Sherwin did the original research.

Glucose is a critical energy source for our body, particularly the brain. Even tiny changes in blood glucose can be detected by specialized glucose-sensing nerve cells in the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus’s exquisite sensitivity to glucose is especially important because the brain requires a continuous supply of glucose to meet its high-energy needs.

Fructose, a close relative of glucose, molecularly speaking, has the same number of calories but is sweeter than its cousin. Unlike glucose, though, fructose is almost entirely removed from the blood by the liver. Thus, very little of it actually reaches the brain.

The notion that these two sugars affect the brain differently is supported by animal studies. When glucose and fructose are injected directly into the brains of mice they have different effects: glucose blunts hunger signals, whereas fructose stimulates them.

We set out to see if the brains in healthy people would likewise respond differently to these two types of sugar. They did. Blood flow and activity in brain areas controlling appetite, emotion and reward decreased after consuming a drink with glucose, and participants reported greater feelings of fullness. In contrast, after drinking fructose, the brain appetite and reward areas continued to stay active, and participants did not report feeling full.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/opini ... .html?_r=0

Research paper here:
Small decrements in systemic glucose provoke increases in hypothalamic blood flow prior to the release of counterregulatory hormones. Page KA1, Arora J, Qiu M, Relwani R, Constable RT, Sherwin RS. Diabetes. 2009 Feb;58(2):448-52. doi: 10.2337/db08-1224. Epub 2008 Nov 18. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1901 ... dinalpos=2
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

vladimir wrote:We often complain Khmers put sugar in everything, but until I started noticing what is in food, I didn't realise just how pervasive the encouraged addiction is, even in weren't diets.
Are you serious? Have you been living in some developing country for the last decade, or something?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

StroppyChops wrote:
vladimir wrote:We often complain Khmers put sugar in everything, but until I started noticing what is in food, I didn't realise just how pervasive the encouraged addiction is, even in weren't diets.
Are you serious? Have you been living in some developing country for the last decade, or something?
Answering for Vlad : No :no: and yes :roll: are the probable answers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic