Doxey's Index of Irritation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

In which stage is Cambodia ?

1. Euphoria stage
16%
2. Apathy stage
32%
3. Irritation or Annoyance stage
11%
4. Hostility stage
42%

Total votes: 19
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: Doxey's Index of Irritation

Post by AE86 »

I say (in Phnom Penh): Apathy towards the presence of foreigners and Hostility towards the rubbish.
-insert signature here
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Having been here several years, I find myself fluctuating between each stage over and over...

EDIT: I read the thread way too quickly and thought it was about which stage of culture shock we were personally in. Something like this:
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

I appreciate all your inputs, but you do see the contradiction between the poll results and that what people say here. I'm a bit confused.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The results are inversely proportionate to the power of z, where z is the co-existential root of y, but only if b is present above a value of .0001

In all other cases, it is sublime.

I hope this clears things up for you.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Absolutely.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

PS that only applies when the differential corresponds to a dy/dx value of 2 or higher, don't make the mistake of playing around with it under that level!
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

vladimir wrote:PS that only applies when the differential corresponds to a dy/dx value of 2 or higher, don't make the mistake of playing around with it under that level!
Hmmm, if my calculation is correct the dy/dx value is between 8 and 10 right now. So what to do ?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Also, this poll only really can reflect Phnom Penh.

Basically 90% of respondents are likely in a pool where they only interact with a maximum possible 15% of the country's population.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:
vladimir wrote:PS that only applies when the differential corresponds to a dy/dx value of 2 or higher, don't make the mistake of playing around with it under that level!
Hmmm, if my calculation is correct the dy/dx value is between 8 and 10 right now. So what to do ?
Research indicates that the best solution is alcohol, of a percentage not lower than 40, and of a quantity not less than 1 L at sea level, providing ambient temperatures are over 70 F
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

there are many factors that can alter peoples perceptions on the poll
1. location
2. peoples ability to interact with the locals
3. said persons social skills
4. said persons mood/frame of mind (positive/negative mentality)
5. said persons lifestyle choice whilst in the kingdom

ive seen loads of people have problems with the locals through some form or other, but i myself have never/rarely have any problems, so i feel they must of been brought on themselves, or am i just lucky? i always have fun interacting with the locals, never really been put in some intimidating or threatening situations, most people i come across are friendly and go out their way to help/make sure im happy,
dont get me wrong ive seen a lot of khmers miserable, upset, angry, violent, whether it be at their own lives, other khmers or barrangs, but none have ever really been directed at me through this index of irritation
i'm not saying it doesnt happen, i have seen it, its maybe even happened to me more times than i care to notice, but with me the good outweighs the bad
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic