Thai/Laos motorcycle crossing requirements

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Thai/Laos motorcycle crossing requirements

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

What do the Laos and Thai border guards require when driving a bike across their respective borders (with a Cambodian bike)? Does the bike's registration card need to be in my name? Or can it be in the name of a previous owner (as is usually the case in Cambodia). A bike is perfectly legal here, as long as one has the "cart grise"/registration papers. The name/picture on it doesn't matter. I'm guessing this would be of importance to Thai/Laos officials? Or do they operate similarly and see a registration card with a different nme as totally normal?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Thai/Laos motorcycle crossing requirements

Post by phuketrichard »

to get into both
the official book ( the green book if thai bike) needs be in ur name

for both when u enter u need obtain temp import docs and obtain insurance for the bike
Thailand allows 30 days import
Laos 15 days can be extended in country
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Thanks Richard. I should have been clearer: driving a CAMBODIAN bike into Thailand, so it obviously wouldn't have any Thai papers... So I'm wondering what the Thais want to see in terms of Cambo paperwork. If I understand correctly, you're saying once in Thailand with a foreign-registered vehicle, one must leave within 30 days, correct? Else one has to pay important taxes? 15 but renewable for Laos?

I figured it would need to be in my name. Thanks for confirming that.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i told u,
the official book ( the green book if thai bike) needs be in ur name

Thailand issues you a green book for thai registered bikes not sure what you get for Cambodia BUT u need
the ownership paper proving its the riders bike :-) Cant be in somebody elses name

30 days in Thailand
15 laos
both countries u need insurance
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Ah ok, no such thing as a book here, just a registration card. Thanks!

If I remember correctly, insurance is bought/given "on arrival" at the border, correct? I'm pretty sure you're the one who answered this question last time, haha.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

for laos there is a shop ( the 3 borders i have eneterd had one) that oyu could buy insurance from

Thailand u wil need to ask at the border where to go as i dont know which border ur going to use but usually it entails traveling to the town and getting insurance. Not a broker at the borders i have used.

FYI if u traveling to Malaysia its the same BUT u need the Cambodian document for the bike translated into English an also a sticker which is the English version of ur number plate an buy insurance at the border.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Richard, do the Thais look at license at the border carefully, or are they mainly concerned with having a Visa/passport/proper vehicle registration in order?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i have NEVER had my license even asked for crossing any border with my car

ONLY if ur stopped by the police will they ask for ur license

Immigration handles visas
customs handles the import of the bike temp
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic