Disposable Chopsticks Chock Full Of Toxins

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Disposable Chopsticks Chock Full Of Toxins

Post by wackyjacky »

The cheap Chinese ones are treated with Sulphur Dioxide among others. If you put them in water the chemicals will start leaching out. This sucks for me , since I'm terrible with the plastic ones.The Chinese government knows of the problem but doesn't give a fuck. LINK: http://www.naturalnews.com/044659_chops ... China.html#
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Disposable Chopsticks Chock Full Of Toxins

Post by John Bingham »

The article is misleading.
It probably never comes to mind for the average diner, but disposable chopsticks are routinely treated with chemical preservatives like sulfur dioxide, which the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) lists as potentially life-threatening. Long-term effects include breathing problems and chronic inflammation.
Sulfur Dioxide is commonly used as a preservative in dried fruits and soft drinks and is also found in wine. Hydrogen Peroxide is just bleach, Sodium Sulfite is another commonly used preservative.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

That is why I use those:

Last edited by hanno on Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

True. Hell, I use Hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash. given China's record on food safety, I think they're likely to over do it. Here's a better article: http://europe.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2 ... 321413.htm
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Just checked my chopsticks, and no sign of any sulphur dioxide there.

Spoiler:
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic