The French and Computers – a tragic relationship

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BOFH
Expatriate

Re: The French and Computers – a tragic relationship

Post by BOFH »

What is it, an Optiplex or something? Model?

You've just discovered why not to buy a Dell, their chassis are extraordinarily crap :-) The last time I had to replace a power button on one of those boxes I ended up melting the plastic off with fire. Pretty sure I voided warranty at that point.
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

BOFH wrote:What is it, an Optiplex or something? Model?

You've just discovered why not to buy a Dell, their chassis are extraordinarily crap :-) The last time I had to replace a power button on one of those boxes I ended up melting the plastic off with fire. Pretty sure I voided warranty at that point.
It's a "Dimension 4700 C" :oops: Anyway, I have tried to fix it myself but was afraid to break the whole thing. Had to bring it to the repair shop and they charge for each started working hour Euro 60 plus 19% taxes. :facepalm:
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Probably find a Khmer guy would have done it for $2 here.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Yap, it's an unjust world.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Question: Are there universities in France that teach them how to destroy a computer within 4 clicks, or how to switch on a computer with a sledge hammer ? And everybody is obliged to sign up for such a course.
In France this is now taught from a primary school level, but there are also online courses for adults.
(You let french people stay in your house?? Did you check the toaster :shock: ? )
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Anchor Moy wrote: Did you check the toaster :shock: ? )
Jesus, not yet. Will check right away. :shock:
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

La plume est dans la grille-pain de ma tante.
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

What? Google translate says this: "The pen is in my aunt toaster". Time to elaborate !!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

La plume est dans le jardin de ma tante is a famous phrase which was often used to show the idiocy of the material used in 2nd language acquisition.

The concept was first used as far back as Chaucer, with hilarious malapropisms.

It was a genuine phrase taken from a book teaching pommies et al how to speak French. It means; the pen is in the garden of my aunt, which is sublimely ridiculous.

It became a rallying cry for those such as I who followed and loved Punch magazine's series, 'Let's parler franglais', the progenitor of engrish.

The French government even complained to the UK govt about the articles, but in true Spy magazine fashion, they told les froggies to fuckez vous-self.

It eventually ended in les 80s, je pense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franglais

I like the French, they gave us great wining, dining, and soixante neuf for dessert, although today, with so many femmes shaving, we might see deserts.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic