Where to Live?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Where to Live?

Post by EdinWigan »

dan1el wrote:If you want somewhere similar to Wigan may i suggest poipet. ;)
Poipet? I might pass on that one.

Strange though, I had a sock called Daniel

:popcorn:
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Well...I'm shipwrecked down here in wonderful sleepy adorable Kampot for a few more days waiting for divine inspiration...big decisions loom...to buy a Colonial flat or not (prices for buying & renting R dumb cheap vs. PP)...I do love da local vibe - expat locals R of 4 main archetypes - a) older dying drunks b) dreaded tatted hipsters c) NGOers d) white business owners with the constant sludge of dirtbag backpackers flowing thru...ain't nary a white with dosh or cultural interest whatsoever down here (traveling thru or living here) I'm way posher than usual - ha! (& clear headed) in this village so like-minded souls R very few indeed...much smaller pond than PP...

My health is perfect with yoga, swimming, walking & moderate drinking (no dumb cigs but a joint once in awhile) & aint never been to no hospital nowhere ever at 60 so dont really care much about med services (never drive drunk, fall off bar stools, fight with bargirls & I wear a helmet 24/7)...so it goes...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Check out the Magic Sponge. Both owners there are real nice gents.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

EdinWigan wrote:I liked all the places I visited, during my recent visit. Some more than others, though that said , I might just spend the first few months and travel about again...Where should I include?
Why don't you tell us what you are looking for in a town/city and we can help you figure out the one that would suit you best? How old are you?

The most obvious choices are: Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Kampot, Kep, Sihanoukville, Battambang. For most expats there aren't a lot of other viable options if you value the company of other Westerners. But maybe you don't! What about going and working on an island for a while? Might be a nice change from Wigan.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

giblet wrote:
EdinWigan wrote:I liked all the places I visited, during my recent visit. Some more than others, though that said , I might just spend the first few months and travel about again...Where should I include?
Why don't you tell us what you are looking for in a town/city and we can help you figure out the one that would suit you best? How old are you?

The most obvious choices are: Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Kampot, Kep, Sihanoukville, Battambang. For most expats there aren't a lot of other viable options if you value the company of other Westerners. But maybe you don't! What about going and working on an island for a while? Might be a nice change from Wigan.
Well Mr G,
I toured around for a couple of month, the usual places. I liked PP but just a bit too hectic for me, met some great people though. Battambang, well, erm, no. Kep was very nice but just too small, as I am single. Kampot, awesome place, really enjoyed the daytime buzz of the Pie and Icecream Palace with Mary and her team. Shianoukville, well I was only there a few days, I think I didn't see its best areas. Siem Reap, well I love SR, very clean and friendly. I am 50 btw.

Strangely enough SR or Shianoukville offer the best opportunities for my type of work but work won't be a day one priority. The possible draw of Shianoukville is that it is by the sea and deep down I have always fancied living on the coast.

I guess I am just enjoying listening to the advice and guidance offered by folk here. You get an alternative perspective from chatting with ex-pats who live somewhere, rather than just trawling the internet to read reviews, know what I mean?
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

How much time have you spent in Cambodia, Mr.Wigan?

If it's less than 2 months, what I'd do is just live in Guest Houses with maybe just a couple suitcases until your sick of it and you are forced to make a choice. :lol:

I did that for a few years around SEA. Even had some kitchen stuff, so if I felt like making a sandwich I could do that in my room.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

FreeSocrates! wrote:How much time have you spent in Cambodia, Mr.Wigan?

If it's less than 2 months, what I'd do is just live in Guest Houses with maybe just a couple suitcases until your sick of it and you are forced to make a choice. :lol:

I did that for a few years around SEA. Even had some kitchen stuff, so if I felt like making a sandwich I could do that in my room.
Mr F-S,

I was thinking the same, a grand tour and see what I think. Nice one

but also nice to gain the ex-pat perspective here
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

Yes, Mr.Wigan I agree.

Knowledge and "hands on" experience combined together make an effective combination.

I'm mostly a city boy but also like to get out and do day trips or weekend trips to lesser populated areas (Us Canadians after all, we all have a bit of the outdoors in us). But I don't know how well I'd do outside of a bigger city full time.

Living by a costal area has also appealed to me in the past. I didn't find Sihanoukville that interesting either, but the only gauge I have for those types of places is living on a Thai Island for a month, or Camping Trips to the Inner Regions of British Columbia, Canada.

That would be like comparing New York or London to Phnom Penh.

I've mostly lived in Phnom Penh, and to me it is city but with a town-ish feeling (it gets smaller as you stay here longer, this might be an Expat only thing though).

And in terms of cities, it also doesn't have any of the good things that are actually good about cities - but has the bad things in multitudes.

Strangely I still love it, but perhaps I too need to do the Guest House thing again!
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

FreeSocrates is right. Guesthouse idea is a good one. Latley I base in Pursat cuz it's relatively easy to get to on the same day I leave Bkk. There's two bus stops on Hwy 5 there and a decent number of places to eat near my fav one. I can get into PP easy from there too, it's a somewhat central location. I've also enjoyed Kampong Cham, but Giblet is right there, if you're sociable and looking for western company ain't so much there.
I'm a loner and lived a couple months there in a compound an ol lady rents out rooms to students coming in from the nearby countryside to study at schools there. 2 months of happy, busy students. $25 a month, 20 for internet dongle. Cheap but kinda flavorless "student" food. Until I started goin downtown and found a lady who does the most superb roast chicken :)
I want to check out Kampot and Kep and Snooky, in spite of the tude of many. Recently I spent some time just north of Pattaya and man, they were right about that. In general tourist areas attract scammers. In the boonies I usually got charged local prices. I'll be looking at other places next time but I'll still base in Pursat. It's totally local, I like it.

this is a good thread, I'd love to see a section for stuff like this including members pics. PP is WELL documented in this regard.
I'll probably hit SR too for reasons you stated and also Giblet. You could be well out there, SunSan told me he had a nice place on a nice compound, well a room in an outbuilding i think it was for $60 a month. Being ABLE to get to good shopping for the occasional western delight WOULD be nice. Metfone dongle I have has got me online anywhere I've been in Cambodia so far. I'd say get ya one of those too.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Ed, I will cut it short. Do you enjoy the lay back native livings? Do you enjoy living in complete freedom? Are you a countryside kind of person, by that I mean living in natural surroundings with the genuine local people. If your answers are all yes, get your ass to Siem Reap. Just dont believe some of the knuckleheads expats about their things about SR, most of them dont have a clue!

Dont believe those telling that living in a guesthouse. If you can afford 50 bucks to waste moving into a studio room, less than 5 mins ride from town. If you dont like it you can always move on to other provinces i.e PP, SHV or wherever you wanted to.

I will speak the truth. The reason PP is preferred by most expats it is where good money is, and MORE entertainments; if the latter or both is your preference you will get bored of SR sooner or later.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic