How to rent a property in Cambodia: a wise man's guide

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How to rent a property in Cambodia: a wise man's guide

Post by frank lee bent »

do not discount fucked up properties in poor repair.

you may find a very cheap rent if prepared to renovate,

right OP?

:D
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Had a month of overlap between old and new lease, took our time moving but turned up at our previous place to discover the landlord had re-leased it and was insisting on billing both us and the new tenant for three weeks. We had a reasonable relationship until that point.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Well, I have a "nice landlady" story ( just to balance things out).
She wasn't going to be home when we moved out, so she checked the electric meter the night before and said don't worry about the rest. :D
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

What were you paying per KwH?

If you were paying more than EDC rate, she had already ripped you off enough, LOL
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

vladimir wrote:What were you paying per KwH?

If you were paying more than EDC rate, she had already ripped you off enough, LOL
Probably, but she knocked $20 off the original asking price of the rent, so I figured we came out square.
If I'm ok with the deal and she's ok, then there's no rip-off IMO.
No cleaning lady (always too sick), but free mangoes - TIC. :D
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Hello, what is the cheapest that you can expect at Sihanoukville for an apartment with security (guards + camera).

Thank you.
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

$150/month for a decent furnished small flat
Jamie may give you some specifics
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Thank you, do you think I could find with a balcony for this price ? Or even a bit more ? Important for my relaxing time ! hahaha And if I want to stay near a Supermarket as I don't like to walk far, which one is the best choice ? Thank you and sorry :-)
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

cannabistourist wrote:Hello, what is the cheapest that you can expect at Sihanoukville for an apartment with security (guards + camera).

Thank you.
Don't rely too much on security. They will either be asleep or missing when you are robbed if they don't do the robbing themselves. The cameras will not be functioning / recording either - they are just for show. I know guys paying $80 / month for new rooms with a small cooking area and shared balcony / walkway. If you want a separate sleeping and living room just double the price. Expect to pay around $3 or $4 per m2 for a new build place in downtown.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: How to rent a property in Cambodia: a wise man’s guide

Post by vladimir »

vladimir wrote: Wed May 14, 2014 4:55 pm
bendix wrote:Such is life. If they want to behave irrationally, it's their prerogative.
I hear this a lot...until their irrational behaviour impacts people's lifestyles or finances more than they think is 'acceptable'.
I'm posting an update here,because it popped up on my alerts this morning, someone rated it. Some clowns from 'that place' had a go at it when I first posted it in an attempt to discredit it/ derail the thread; it didn't work.

The sentence I highlighted here is the relevant one. A couple of months ago, guess who was whining that an apartment near Russian Market was too expensive? Yup, one of their buddies.

Funny.

Anyway, for the guy that rated the post positively, thanks, and I hope it helps you find trouble-free value.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic