Pilot's last words before crash: 'Wow, ...wrong throttle!'

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Pilot's last words before crash: 'Wow, ...wrong throttle!'

Post by Anchor Moy »

Whoops I did it again. TransAsia pilot who failed his simulator training also failed in real time, crashing the plane and killing 43 people including himself in Taiwan in Feb. So I guess there will be no third time lucky.
Scary stuff. :facepalm:
...According to a report by the country’s Aviation Safety Council on Thursday, Captain Liao Jian-zong was heard to say "Wow, pulled back the wrong side throttle" but did not realise his mistake until it was too late.

... It has also been revealed that Liao, who was killed instantly on impact, had failed simulator training in May the previous year because he did not know how to deal with an engine flame out on take off. Despite this he passed the test a second time in June and was promoted to captain in August 2014.

Instructors commented at the time that he was "prone to be nervous and may make oral errors during the engine start procedure", displayed a "lack of confidence" and was "nervous", the report shows.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 59733.html
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Pilot's last words before crash: 'Wow, ...wrong throttl

Post by hanno »

Taiwan seems to have a problem. After this crash, all pilots had to attend simulator testing, if I remember correctly around half failed.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Taiwan actually makes them re-attend simulator training. I wonder what simulator training that the pilots for the new Cambodia Bayon airlines get? This is on top of flying Chinese copies of a sh*t Russian design turbo-prop. The Chinese airplane cannot fly in North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and more. I've really looked forward to an airlines flying into Snookyville, but I don't want to be aboard on of these flying junkyards when they decide to stop flying. Maybe they will look good on top of buildings like the Russian turbo-prop on the Russian building on the hill in Snooky.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I wonder if the planes here are affected by a bogus part industry like how the 1st world was 20-30 years ago before a major clamp down?
-insert signature here
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

AE86 wrote:I wonder if the planes here are affected by a bogus part industry like how the 1st world was 20-30 years ago before a major clamp down?
Wouldn't surprise me at all. And I do wonder about the quality of the engineers...... Like Sailorman there is no way I will set foot on a Bayon flight.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

They've found that the strict hierarchy of many Asian carriers or prevents co-pilots from opening their mouths when the senior pilot fucks up. Another big problem is the over reliance on the auto-pilot. Manual landing skills are seriously deficient.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I flew in one for those things with President Air years ago.

On take off the whole cabin filled with white smoke/vapour, the air hostess said 'It's normal'.

5 minutes later I wanted a drink, two of them were asleep already.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic