The future of journalism

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

The future of journalism

Post by vladimir »

As the internet of things replaces journalism (which has pretty much abandoned any sense of standards anyway), the assembled multitudes will dictate what is news and what is not.

With sex and scandals being the best sellers, are we heading for journalism standards once reserved for p3 of the Daily Mirror, Fox News or The Sun?

Salacious news sells, sports news sells, honest, ethical journalism does not.

As the Romans said, 'panem et circunses'...

Has our desire to be one with everyone/play God back-fired?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: The future of journalism

Post by phuketrichard »

"Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits - a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and masturbate like a chimp in a zoo-cage." –
Hunter Thompson
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

You possibly meant circenses - I don't think 'grammar nazi' can be called when OP quotes the Romans.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

vladimir wrote:As the internet of things replaces journalism (which has pretty much abandoned any sense of standards anyway), the assembled multitudes will dictate what is news and what is not.
You mean something like what ericsank posted here?
ericsank wrote:You see, if A is the truth about something and B is what people believe it is, then it is the aggregate belief itself in the deceptive statement -- that B equals A -- that fuels the growth in the deception (B-A)². In other words, the more people believe it, the louder the bang:
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

The line is blurred between activism and journalism. Especially in this country. 20somethings writing about lakeside from Browns coffee. Pathetic.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

phuketrichard wrote:"Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits - a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and masturbate like a chimp in a zoo-cage." –
Hunter Thompson
Classic! One of my favs.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I like the way journalism is painting itself these days. People need to be more aware that there's really no such thing as "unbiased" journalism.

I wish people required more fact checks before believing something they read, regardless of which prestige media outlet runs it.

The news is full of attention whores running around the globe making something out of nothing to sell a story.

I think this is all just proof that the planet is just getting stupider by the day. Even the so-called "forward thinkers" post the stupidest shit on Facebook these days and they think they're being so clever. They go on Facebook every day just to tell everyone else how stupid they are for spending on their time on Facebook.

I do love this age of the internet though. Some idiot in my office yesterday was telling everyone he could read 4,000 words a minute, LoL. I told him I thought that was bullshit. He said it at least 3,500. I wanted to see it. I finally googled a few things about speed readers in front of everyone. After a few calculations he finally has to admit he could probably only read 1,500 words a minute, LoL (which I still don't believe).

People need to question everything they read and hear. Sadly they don't. I think the media is finally realizing just how much ridiculous bullshit they can get away with and are running with it.

With all the "news" stories they run on celebrities these days, I consider them all tabloids.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

The biggest problem these days is this: So many people talking all day long about so little.
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic