Where to Live?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Where to Live?

Post by OrangeDragon »

Jacobincambodia wrote:Anyone live in Sihanoukville? I'd love to hear first-hand experiences.
I currently live in Sihanoukville. The wife and I moved here from PP back in March. I LOVE it here. Maybe 5% of the traffic of Phnom Penh (the longest I've been in a traffic jam is the T junction of the small market near my house... usually lasts like 3 minutes while people figure out who gets to go since half the street is being used as a moto park), about equal on crime/etc, lots of tasty places to eat (and more being added all of the time), decent expat community, etc.

Healthcare is a little lacking, but there happens to be a US trained nurse practitioner about to move back here who will see people out of the back of the guesthouse for simple treatments and medication recommendations. CT clinic isn't bad if the old guy in charge is in and the one seeing you (I hear). My only direct experience was with the international place on the main street downtown... I had to teach them how to do/read an x-ray for soft tissue damage instead of a bone break. :facepalm:

VERY few options in the way of work... though more businesses are coming in so that should be about to change soon.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

OrangeDragon wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:Anyone live in Sihanoukville? I'd love to hear first-hand experiences.
I currently live in Sihanoukville. The wife and I moved here from PP back in March. I LOVE it here. Maybe 5% of the traffic of Phnom Penh (the longest I've been in a traffic jam is the T junction of the small market near my house... usually lasts like 3 minutes while people figure out who gets to go since half the street is being used as a moto park), about equal on crime/etc, lots of tasty places to eat (and more being added all of the time), decent expat community, etc.

Healthcare is a little lacking, but there happens to be a US trained nurse practitioner about to move back here who will see people out of the back of the guesthouse for simple treatments and medication recommendations. CT clinic isn't bad if the old guy in charge is in and the one seeing you (I hear). My only direct experience was with the international place on the main street downtown... I had to teach them how to do/read an x-ray for soft tissue damage instead of a bone break. :facepalm:

VERY few options in the way of work... though more businesses are coming in so that should be about to change soon.
Oh boy. The clinic experience sounds like fun.

My family goes there several times a year for a getaway and find it quite enjoyable. Property seems to be cheaper there too. I always like how quiet it seems. On the other hand, it seems to gather a lot of trash if you know what I mean. We would want a house of sorts, but nothing over 600/month.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Jacobincambodia wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:

Oh boy. The clinic experience sounds like fun.

My family goes there several times a year for a getaway and find it quite enjoyable. Property seems to be cheaper there too. I always like how quiet it seems. On the other hand, it seems to gather a lot of trash if you know what I mean. We would want a house of sorts, but nothing over 600/month.
I have a 3 level (2+mez) shophouse partially furnished with nice big rooms near downtown and I pay $300 a month.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

I did not really like my personal experience of Sihanoukville, but in fairness, I was only there a few days and didn't get about, as much as I should. So, I will discount that and revisit on my next visit ( so many wise CEO posters and a dragon, can't be wrong)

I found it full of low end bars, 'Death-Pats', 'Sex-Pats' and the ones, just generally off their heads at breakfast. I guess there were many other areas that are more suitable to my lifestyle. the lifestyle of a 'Chilled-Peasant'

It seems the more I am educated (this forum) the more I am leaning to a, longer, Cambodia tour, on my arrival, before settling down. Siem Reap is still topping my list, for now but other places are 'Popping Up' on the radar :thumb:

Keep the info coming

UPDATE: Many dry kids can now be seen on the streets of Wigan, thanks for your support. Keep it coming
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

The thing about s'ville is you have to get away from the muck. the muck tends to mean ochheuteal beach... but even it has it's decent spots. there is a lot of what you described... a lot in PP as well. the difference is PP is a bigger town, so it's spread out a little thinner. but really even some of those "deathpats" are some real interesting guys. buying a guy in his 70s who's been here for 15 years and knows every day might be his last makes for some pretty fun and crazy stories for the price of a beer.
dan1el
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dan1el »

If you want somewhere similar to Wigan may i suggest poipet. ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

EdinWigan wrote:UPDATE: Many dry kids can now be seen on the streets of Wigan, thanks for your support. Keep it coming
Seems to be a shortage of umbrellas in PP these days, immediately before the wet season. Some bastard NGOer is buying them up for his dog!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

I liked all the places I visited, during my recent visit. Some more than others, though that said , I might just spend the first few months and travel about again. Maybe I should get a 'Tour' T Shirt (but then again that is very, last forum)

Where should I include?
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

EdinWigan wrote:I liked all the places I visited, during my recent visit. Some more than others, though that said , I might just spend the first few months and travel about again. Maybe I should get a 'Tour' T Shirt (but then again that is very, last forum)

Where should I include?
You should get 1 t-shirt, plain white, that you wear at each border crossing/etc. then get the guy stamping passports to stamp your shirt.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Get a CEO T-shirt... oh, wait.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic