Who owns a suit in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!

Do you own a suit here?

Yes, one for special occasions when I'm forced to wear it.
55%
Yes, several, and I wear them regularly.
10%
No, are you kidding me? A suit? In this heat?
20%
No, I don't even own pants... anyone got a dollar?
15%

Total votes: 20
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Who owns a suit in Cambodia?

Post by Username Taken »

I've got a birthday suit if that counts.

The wife reckons it needs a bit of an iron, though. :o
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I have one, I've never been to an interview without it.

imho, anyone who goes to an interview for a decent office job without one shouldn't be considered.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Are you serious? I usually always dress at the high end of business casual for interviews. I only wear a suit for weddings or formal events. Then again, I've never had a "decent" office job ;-)
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

have 2,
last time i wore one was for the kings funeral last year
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote:I notice some people are astounded that I own suits I brought over from America with me when I moved. I personally happen to like getting all suited up and dressed to the 9's now and then. I think I look pretty damn good in one. My wife tends to agree. But I also get how it's the hot as fuck tropics, there's rarely a need for one, etc. I was raised and believe myself that it's good for a man to own at least one black suit if nothing else... you never know when the occasion will call for one to be appropriate and respectful, so it's better to have it and not need it (if you don't like wearing them) than need it and not have it.

How about you? Do you suit?
Wore suits all the time in Singaporean heat, although Jackets were reserved for only the most highest ranking meetings. Left all my suits in storage there. No need in Cambodia unless I get into some high level business venture.

That said, I have not had the chance to buy new clothing in some time, and some of what I have with me is starting to look a bit tattered. Is there place in PP where I can buy quality short sleeve (button style) shirts? Decent pair of "smart casual" pants? Or do I need to wait until I go to Bangkok.

Would need to cater to large American sizes and not be stupid expensive.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Rain Dog wrote:Is there place in PP where I can buy quality short sleeve (button style) shirts? Decent pair of "smart casual" pants? Or do I need to wait until I go to Bangkok.

I LOVE the tailor about a block west from the Samsung store on the corner by Orussey market. Haven't had a short sleeve shirt made, but I had a full 3 piece tuxedo with a tuxedo shirt (french cuffs) made almost flawlessly there for $150. The only flaw was a miscommunication between the wife and I about it being a fitting, so I wore flip-flops instead of dress shoes and the pants are too long. He has said to bring it back to have it refit, but the wedding is over and I've just not bothered.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote:
Rain Dog wrote:Is there place in PP where I can buy quality short sleeve (button style) shirts? Decent pair of "smart casual" pants? Or do I need to wait until I go to Bangkok.

I LOVE the tailor about a block west from the Samsung store on the corner by Orussey market. Haven't had a short sleeve shirt made, but I had a full 3 piece tuxedo with a tuxedo shirt (french cuffs) made almost flawlessly there for $150. The only flaw was a miscommunication between the wife and I about it being a fitting, so I wore flip-flops instead of dress shoes and the pants are too long. He has said to bring it back to have it refit, but the wedding is over and I've just not bothered.
Thanks this. I may have to check this out. Ay suggestion as to dress shoes in PP?
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote:I've got a birthday suit if that counts.

The wife reckons it needs a bit of an iron, though. :o
I washed mine a bit too much, it sagged.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Rain Dog wrote: Thanks this. I may have to check this out. Ay suggestion as to dress shoes in PP?
There I've come up pretty blank. Mostly the stupid Khmer pointy toe style ones... which I hate.

Luckily the ones I brought from the US were almost brand new when I moved and are of solid quality.
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

Rain Dog wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:

Thanks this. I may have to check this out. Ay suggestion as to dress shoes in PP?
Toul Sleng have got shoe stores, you can have shoes made there
Using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic