Why aren't there any real taxis in Sihanoukville?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Why aren't there any real taxis in Sihanoukville?

Post by Samouth »

I wonder if expats in Sihanoukville ever tried local taxi I would call ( a taxi with the back always open that commute from Sihanoukville to Veal Rinh). Not only stuffs are placed at the back of the taxi, but passengers as well. I was traveling by that kinda taxi countless time sitting at the back of it as I was a student. So the driver charged me low, but required me to sit at the back in order to keep the middle seats for older people who paid more than me. At that time I wasn't really realize that it is really dangerous and my life could had been taken any time if I wasn't really becareful or forgot to hold on the robe tied up to ceiling of the car.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:1:45 is seriously fast. My personal record is 1:30 but at a time when I was driving it every week.
Nowadays with more traffic, my family aboard an me not being a road regular anymore I still do it under 3 hours.
Cost in gas is about the same as a taxi.
No way you can reach Phnom Penh in just one hour and half. Don't get me wrong. National road number 4 is not a standard high way where there is only one direction driving and no animals like cow and water buffalo running around. More than 2 hours is slightly reasonable.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Are you talking about those over-loaded dangerous vans that have stuff spilling out the back? There is one vehicle the police should ban off the road and/or stop the overloading. What an accident looking for a place to happen.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Sailorman wrote:Are you talking about those over-loaded dangerous vans that have stuff spilling out the back? There is one vehicle the police should ban off the road and/or stop the overloading. What an accident looking for a place to happen.
haha ive been in the back of one of them minivans before, on the way back from kampong cham province lol there was 11 seats, 25 people, 2 babies, everyones luggage and a motorbike stuffed into it lol ive seen a lot where they have people sitting on the roof of the minivan haha so mental!!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Samouth wrote:
Barang_doa_slae wrote:1:45 is seriously fast. My personal record is 1:30 but at a time when I was driving it every week.
Nowadays with more traffic, my family aboard an me not being a road regular anymore I still do it under 3 hours.
Cost in gas is about the same as a taxi.
No way you can reach Phnom Penh in just one hour and half. Don't get me wrong. National road number 4 is not a standard high way where there is only one direction driving and no animals like cow and water buffalo running around. More than 2 hours is slightly reasonable.
At the time I was still driving to PP at least once a week and knew the road like the back of my hand.
Can't remember the particular circumstances but it must have been one of these bank holidays when the trucks and most cars magically disappear, probably at night too (I have HID high beams).

BTW I find water buffaloes to be clever animals that usually look for oncoming traffic unlike stupid cows.

Talking about animals in 2009, the year I received my car from America I had an accident with a small eagle. I was driving to SHV when at the Picnic (hills hotel) pass, I saw the bird gliding very low coming from opposite direction while I was doing a good 170 in the long left curve. When our eyes met, we were both very surprised as it was aiming for the center of my windshield. I tried to keep my right as much as possible while the eagle tried to narrow it's trajectory but the poor thing wing still hit my B pillar :shock:
6EQUJ5
Expatriate

Post by 6EQUJ5 »

I saw two Toyota Camrys today in Sihanoukville with "TAXI" emblazoned on the side along with what looked like a number to identify the cab and some kind of company logo. I guess they've arrived...
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Might just be from PP taking someone down there.

Doubt the mafia would allow competition
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

the best thing to do is get a taxi drivers number who lives in sihanoukville and just call him whenever you need a lift, im sure he will be willing to make a quick 5 bucks if hes not busy (which he probs will be)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Banshee Cyclops
Expatriate

Post by Banshee Cyclops »

6EQUJ5 wrote:Even North Korea has real taxis (and a functioning public bus system). Tuk tuks are bulls**t - slow, unsafe, uncomfortable, no aircon, no meter, stupid arrangements for luggage, etc. This place has an airport for Christ's sake; they could at least have a small fleet of REAL taxis servicing the town.
"Real" taxis are usually not a contribution to a city. Taxi drivers and their support systems are corrupt worldwide.
One trick they use in Mexico and Istanbul and maybe India is to have you pay for the texi at the airport then just out of site of the taxi stand, they make you switch taxis, which invalidates your receipt.

In Istanbul, the taxi drivers are also cops, which tells you how much cops are paid.

In India, after you have driven almost off the airport grounds the taxi stops and the taxi driver's "friend" gets in.

If you get one off the street, one trick is to drive around so they can run up the meter.

Yet another trick, in Mexico City, is to take you to a hotel that will pay them commission and maybe another if you refuse that. Then when they finally bring you to the hotel you told them in the first place, even though you have paid at the airport, they demand a tip.

Another trick is to rig the meter so it clicks too fast to a higher fare.

There can be an improvement in SHV's public transport, but taxis are not it.

I am working on a secret plan.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

In India the tariffs were increased but the meters have not been updated, the drivers show you a card with new rates. So, if the meter says (for arguments sake) $1, the actual fare might be $1.80. Looks like a scam, but is legit, and causes a lot of tension.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic