Siem Reap: Two ATMs smashed and 200K USD taken away

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Siem Reap: Two ATMs smashed and 200K USD taken away

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:Why did they know how to smash it and get money?

However, i still feel that Siem Reap is really safe. Every time i was there, i walked alone in the middle of the night to the guesthouse and nothing happened.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Therapist
Expatriate

Post by Therapist »

It really is the wild west!

However, there are cameras in every corner of every country now. Crime in the old days must have been child’s play.

In the first world what could you do with 200K as a fugitive? Cross state lines and you have phoebe on you. Even with throw away pre-paid phones and non-GPS, non-computerized modes of transportation, your chances of never getting caught are less than 1% in the states?

Cambodia is a bit more intriguing and CEO members are already calling it an inside job!

Samouth, shouldn't you feel more safe than barang anyways. You can develop street smarts and a sixth sense for danger in your home country better than barang visitors, no?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

In Cambodia, it's always an inside job.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Apparently they used gas torches. And I thin arresting the security guards was a good idea.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic