Aral Sea Disaster - article

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Aral Sea Disaster - article

Post by Anchor Moy »

Uzbekistan: A dying sea, mafia rule, and toxic fish.
Interesting article from Aljazeera.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 19386.html
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Aral Sea Disaster - article

Post by Cam Nivag »

Satellite photos of the Aral Sea, 1964-2014

Source
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Isn't there a danger of a similar situation in the Murray-Darling basin in Australia? Irrigation taking all the river water?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

It's called progress. Alan Clarke had shares.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Same/same Colorado River in America. Doesn't even get to the Mexican border anymore. With big agro corporations like ConAgra in the US who line the pockets of politicians, ecology and health of the planet/country don't even factor into the money equations.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Sailorman wrote:Same/same Colorado River in America. Doesn't even get to the Mexican border anymore. With big agro corporations like ConAgra in the US who line the pockets of politicians, ecology and health of the planet/country don't even factor into the money equations.
Lakes and rivers are drying up, and even worse, underground water supplies are being wasted and polluted.
Frontpage article from the Independent on how underground water supplies or aquifers are under attack worldwide:

The world’s largest underground aquifers – a source of fresh water for hundreds of millions of people — are being depleted at alarming rates, according to new NASA satellite data that provides the most detailed picture yet of vital water reserves hidden under the Earth’s surface.

Twenty-one of the world’s 37 largest aquifers — in locations from India and China to the United States and France — have passed their sustainability tipping points, meaning more water was removed than replaced during the decade-long study period, researchers announced Tuesday.
http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 25188.html

I thought I'd "switch" to beer as a sustainable drink but duh, no water, no beer. :cry: This is getting serious.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I remember reading about this 40 + years ago on NatGeo. It was 50% gone then. California should hire these Russian engineers to remove the nasty Salton Sea.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I first heard about this from a geologist I met in Tashkent nearly 2 decades back. He pointed out the devastation as we flew over the former sea, seems it has only gotten worse since.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic