Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Google cardboard

Post by StroppyChops »

ryoon wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
ryoon wrote:Trouble is even if it was possible to up the spec know you would need a 5000$ computer to run the VR helmet.
Sigh. You -need- to be right about this, don't you? Did you even read the link below? That's the word from Oculus via Geek.com.
StroppyChops wrote:Oculus reveals Rift will need a $1,000 PC and possibly $400 for the headgear.

http://www.geek.com/games/oculus-ceo-sa ... e-1623800/
You need a 1000$ computer for running the oculus as it is now. But if you were to increase the resolution, fov or FPS the power necessary would explode exponentially.

The point is even when and if the phone go up to the level of a 1000$ computer, by then the VR helmet will necessitate much more power due to the increase in FOV, FPS and resolution. This was to explain to OD that on the VR field there is still a need for MORE power, MUCH MORE power.

Take video game and watching movie, the only serious disadvantage of the phone is the size of the screen , power wise they can do adequately with the current level. But for VR the home computer are still barely adequate and will still be for many years. The phone can not start to close the gap until the computer reach the stage where more power is nice but not really necessary.
(I know it's already been mentioned, but) Have you considered Moore's Law?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

And more specifically how much more effort and research is going into making mobile more powerful vs pc...

Phones are what's hot in tech... and where the majority of the research is going to make them stronger and faster every 6 months... so you'll upgrade. Again and again and again.

I know many people using a 5 year old computer (for gaming even) and on their 3rd phone in the same amount of time. Its insane, but it's the market at the moment. Not sure if you're just a "i bought this phone in 2004 and it works great as a phone" guy who's out of touch with what's going on or what... but phones are outpacing computers for computing usage left and right.

Last year mobile outpaced PC internet usage for the first time, triggering a major shift in how website development is focused on all fronts, not just those cutting edge design shops.
Tablet sales are expected to fully outpace PC sales this year... which includes business purchases of PCs which are usually pretty frequent.

As for your "you need $1000 computer, oh now you need a $5000 computer" argument... pick a point? but either way, you're not really making your case. people just won't do it. some edge cases will, fetishists, but they're a retarded market to develop for because a) to develop for something that needs a $5000 machine to run you need a $9000 machine to do it on (develop code runs at way higher cost than production code) and b) because they make up so few people... why make something that only 500 people can use and of them only 10 will want to?

And increasing FOV/FPS gets ridiculous after a point. The human eye can only see so much. As it stands the S6 will do playback at 1080p at 60fps, that's without the new nVidia chip i posted about (the 4k over HDMI one). Lower power consumption needs for the mobile processors are a huge factor as well.. they are architected to do more with less because of the batter life issues in the competitive marketplace.

Keep selling them short. Nothings going to change your mind... the bets are placed. We'll all see in about a year.

Also, regarding the "comfort" aspect (a lot cheaper than a super expensive computer):
http://www.wired.com/2015/04/reduce-vr- ... tual-nose/
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

1 The user of the DK2 will tell you that :

- resolution is not enough, the oculus have some kind of work done on the lense to make the pixe invisible but still the current resolution is some what weak.
- FOV is not enough, 110° is like looking through a scuba diving mask
- FPS are accceptable at 75 fps, ok at 90 Hz but ideally you want to aim for 120 Hz

The one working in this field explained that even if each of those point can be increase it can be so only at a none viable commercially increase in power.
The current speck of the rift are not making the member of the forum happy (really not happy in fact) as they would have like higher resolution and FOV.
Translation those speck will go up with time, currently the home computer cannot keep up, no way the phone can do it.

Plus OD you forget the fact that VR profit well a a specific environment ( for the vive you better clear a whole room).

VR is a full experience people will be more interested in having a dedicated space.

Not a so good exemple but see it like this.

I have a tablet with open ofice suit. I can connect a wireless keyboard and wired mouse to my tablet. When I buy those I was thinking great I can use to write document, long email, blog and such.
Only problem even if it work the comfort is not there, in a pinch will do but not for more. The keyboard is too small, the work environment is not there, ect ect . Not confortable is you have to do several hour work session
For gaming it work perfectly though but you will have to admit that most gaming session on mobile are short timed. The hard core gammer who play several hour in a row go for desktop.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I know people who sit at their phones and play for hours. We're not talking angry birds... we're talking FPS and RPG. Especially kids.

You're behind on what's popular with the younger (thus spending) generation.

And these mostly aren't free games. Some, with in-app revenue basis. But most of these are $10-$20 a pop games.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

And minecraft... dear god. That games 8bit graphics success is 100% evidence that the videophile aspect isn't the mainstream. That good playability will literally trump everything else.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

Well will see.

My bet as for the text editing, excel, power point and other work related task, VR will not be a phone market for simple ergonomic reason.

My phone and tablet have the power to run office and such but working with them ? Not really.

VR will be IMO more or less the same, plus of course you are nowhere near the power requirement for the moment.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

OrangeDragon wrote:And minecraft... dear god. That games 8bit graphics success is 100% evidence that the videophile aspect isn't the mainstream. That good playability will literally trump everything else.
Yes OD thing is good play-ability in VR mean some kind of not easily transportable input system.

Seriously I do not see the point of buying an expensive phone to have a substandard VR experience.

VR mobile and VR desktop are not in the same categories experience wise. Not so true for the mobile gaming and desktop gaming unless your are a serious hard core gamer.

But this you will see when the commercial version of desktop VR hit the shelf.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic