Anyone know about swimming pool installations ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Anyone know about swimming pool installations ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:The places I've seen in PP all charge an arm and a leg. They even charge huge amounts to build the pool (whereas you could get some ditch diggers, tiles, cement and grout and get a similar result for 10% the cost). As for the filtration systems, they do seem pricey pretty much everywhere. If you find something, let me know. If you search online, there are ways of making simple pools pretty cheaply, but I've yet to attempt it.
The quote that I saw for a regular pump with chemicals was more like two arms and two legs.
Does anyone in Cambodia have a "natural" pool filter or a saltwater system ?
Or, does anyone want to say what they've paid for a pool, whatever style; just approximately. Thx.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I don't think people promoting natural swimming pools on this thread know what they are talking about.
As far as I know there is only one successful example in Cambodia which is in Battabang.

If no experience natural pools are delicate to build in a temperate climate and it is much more difficult in a tropical setting.
In Cambodia if there is wild life nearby it think it would also attract nearby prey and predators such as snakes.
Then there is the natural slippery slime pond feeling that many people don't like for swimming pools.
Lastly these kind of pools require a much bigger space than a normal one, therefore advising it for a urban application is a very bad idea except if you have a very big property :facepalm:

Edit: forgot to mention that it just takes a few stupid guests to go swimming with solar cream on their body to fuck the pond equilibrium.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

FYI, Westland International School at Takhmau will be opening a new school, for English only. I think the existing school will be for Khmer only. I know they already have a few Foreign teachers there so perhaps if one of them is on CEO they could comment on the new swimming pool.[ size etc ]

WESTLAND’s New Facility Installment
So as to move one step further towards international standard, WESTLAND INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL has installed the following facilities: a swimming pool, a large playground, an airconditioning canteen and a performance stage.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:I don't think people promoting natural swimming pools on this thread know what they are talking about.
As far as I know there is only one successful example in Cambodia which is in Battabang.

If no experience natural pools are delicate to build in a temperate climate and it is much more difficult in a tropical setting.
In Cambodia if there is wild life nearby it think it would also attract nearby prey and predators such as snakes.
Then there is the natural slippery slime pond feeling that many people don't like for swimming pools.
Lastly these kind of pools require a much bigger space than a normal one, therefore advising it for a urban application is a very bad idea except if you have a very big property :facepalm:

Edit: forgot to mention that it just takes a few stupid guests to go swimming with solar cream on their body to fuck the pond equilibrium.
Perhaps you should read about how they work even better in a warm climate. http://www.greenbuildermedia.com/blog/n ... m-climates
You will also notice on that page several pools which don't take up a lot of room.
No , suntan lotion will now do anything that's BS so is the slimy comment
read 9 myths:
http://www.houselogic.com/photos/pools- ... expensive/
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Thanks for the links.
Will check them and give you my feedback.
Been reading quite a few books and websites on the subject as I have a long term project involving one however on another closer short/mid term project I rejected the idea first hand.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

These two links didn't change my opinion.

First I wasn't talking about mud but about slime, same as in a lake or a pond. A natural swimming pool has to have some on the immersed surfaces.

Secondly I have read much more advanced technical articles stating that tropical climate was making it harder, your article just speak about "hot". I'll look in my files and "to read" list If I can retrieve any.

Thirdly as stated in your links there is an emphasis on the need of qualified experts and as everyone knows, Cambodia has plenty of that.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:These two links didn't change my opinion.

First I wasn't talking about mud but about slime, same as in a lake or a pond. A natural swimming pool has to have some on the immersed surfaces.

Secondly I have read much more advanced technical articles stating that tropical climate was making it harder, your article just speak about "hot". I'll look in my files and "to read" list If I can retrieve any.

Thirdly as stated in your links there is an emphasis on the need of qualified experts and as everyone knows, Cambodia has plenty of that.
Those where just examples there are thousands of articles I didn't even read them as I know that you statement is not true so any of them would suffice, because most (if not all) biological (bacterial) processes, and plants, love a warm moist environment.

If you look around you will see lots of big cement and clay pots with water, fish and plants in them they have been doing it for a long time. Exact same type of balanced eco-system ,same as aquaponics system (just people instead of fish in the main tank you have people or you could have both), but separated instead of all in one container. What kind of secret or expert knowledge is needed ? There are of forums, and books where to help.

For any slime or dirt on the tile or walls pools take work just like in a chemical pool you still need to brush down the sides, scoop out debris and vacuum the bottom. If you do that it will be as crystal clear and clean as any pool but without swimming in chemicals.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Forget this natural pool bullshit. Pump, filter and salt water chlorinator cost about 3-4 thousand for a 60,000 liter pool. That's a medium size pool about 10 by 6 with a deep end. In Cambodia a concrete slab, block walls and tiles might cost 5000 or so including digging the hole and fitting the PVC and wiring it all up.
Our pool guy uses bugger all salt, he puts a sample of water in a centrifuge linked to a lap top in the van and prints out an analysis of the water. He adds a few high tech ingredients and bobs your uncle.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

willyhilly wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:52 pm Forget this natural pool bullshit. Pump, filter and salt water chlorinator cost about 3-4 thousand for a 60,000 liter pool. That's a medium size pool about 10 by 6 with a deep end. In Cambodia a concrete slab, block walls and tiles might cost 5000 or so including digging the hole and fitting the PVC and wiring it all up.
Our pool guy uses bugger all salt, he puts a sample of water in a centrifuge linked to a lap top in the van and prints out an analysis of the water. He adds a few high tech ingredients and bobs your uncle.
When it comes to treating the water, it's not the cost of a good ozone generator, chemicals or salt that make swimming pools and spa's expensive,, it's the cost of running the pumps 24/7 to keep the water circulating and clean.

Then all you need is some idiot who uses shampoo or soap , especially in spa's , and you start all over again draining and refilling.

Been there, Done that.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

We recently bought all new equipment including the super efficient pool pump. Because we are a commercial operation we run the pump about six hours a day and it costs bugger all. I will ask the pool man next time I see him about running costs.
How do the pool builders in Phnom Penh get away with over charging, isn't there any competition. Building a pool is pretty simple.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic