Cooking oils

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Cooking oils

Post by vladimir »

What about canola oil?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:BTW anyone now what the Khmer stuff is made from? Veg oil or mixed or what? Its called Oileen brand.
For the cooking oil that you buy at local markets I think they use Vietnamese or Malaysian castor oil that comes in 18 kg cans. They just refill it, either in little plastic bags or plastic bottles. 'Oileen" is palm oil. At least that's what they are saying. If it is then it would be perfect for cooking.
Interesting. Thanks. They are big decanting fans it seems (seen it happening with various products), so you make a strong point there.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

The Center for Science in the Public Interest claims that since the edible oil is high in saturated fat and low in polyunsaturated fat it, it could promote heart diseases. The Center classes palm oil as better than partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, but more harmful than liquid oils such as olive and canola.Feb 7, 2014
Palm oil

Edible oil
Palm oil is an edible vegetable oil derived from the mesocarp of the fruit of the oil palms, primarily the African oil palm Elaeis guineensis, and to a lesser extent from the American oil palm Elaeis oleifera and the maripa palm Attalea maripa. Wikipedia
Nutrition Facts
Palm oil
Amount Per 100 grams
Calories 884
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 100 g 153%
Saturated fat 49 g 245%
Polyunsaturated fat 9 g
Monounsaturated fat 37 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 0 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 0 g 0%
Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
Sugar 0 g
Protein 0 g 0%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
Vitamin B-6 0% Vitamin B-12 0%
Magnesium 0%
*Per cent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Olive oil

Olive oil is a fat obtained from the olive, a traditional tree crop of the Mediterranean Basin. The oil is produced by pressing whole olives and is commonly used in cooking, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, ... Wikipedia
Nutrition Facts
Olive oil
Amount Per 100 grams
Calories 884
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 100 g 153%
Saturated fat 14 g 70%
Polyunsaturated fat 11 g
Monounsaturated fat 73 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 2 mg 0%
Potassium 1 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 0 g 0%
Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
Sugar 0 g
Protein 0 g 0%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 0%
Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 0%
*Per cent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Kuroneko wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:When I can afford it, imported olive oil. Not extra virgin as it's no good for hard frying apparently.
Extra virgin olive oil is ok for shallow frying, which is all I use it for. In fact its ok for deep frying but really not cost effective, for that I would use peanut oil which has a high smoke point and also has the advantage of not absorbing the flavour of the food you are cooking and therefore avoids any "cross contamination"of flavours.

Can I use extra virgin olive oils for frying?

Yes, but to be honest, refined olive oils (that is those labeled as ‘Pure’ or ‘Light’) are probably a more cost effective alternative when more than shallow frying. Refined olive oils also begin to smoke at a higher temperature than most extra virgin olive oils, making them more suited to deep frying. However, extra virgin olive oils are a far better alternative when shallow frying. It is commonly thought that extra virgin olive oil smokes at a low temperature. However, it is a fact that the lower the free fatty acidity (FFA) i.e. better oils, the higher the temperature at which the oil will begin to smoke. Therefore if you purchase high quality oil with an FFA less than 0.2%, then it will start to smoke at a temperature around 20C higher than your average supermarket EV imported from the EU. That’s a lot in culinary terms. http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/myth-b ... d-cooking/
Whoa baby, you're quoting official olive oil industry propaganda there you realize? (look at the source) Ok good extra virgin has a higher smoke point than bad extra virgin. Noted. It's still no good for high temperature (375F+) frying, period. Oils like peanut and soybean have a smoke point 100 degrees F than that good olive oil. And it's not just about food safety, burned oil is going to make your food taste like acrid crap. Use the right oil for the job.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cook ... atter.html

In my experience if you eat Khmer outside your own home you're likely consuming oil as old as Angkor Wat. Our bad oil at Jungle went to my cook's mother's restaurant . Good oil is indeed expensive. Remember the stories of where cheap Chinese oils were found to come from when you consider buying Cambodian oils.
Using Tapatalk
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

JBTrain wrote:
In my experience if you eat Khmer outside your own home you're likely consuming oil as old as Angkor Wat.
Ha!
Our bad oil at Jungle went to my cook's mother's restaurant .
!!! :bad:
Good oil is indeed expensive. Remember the stories of where cheap Chinese oils were found to come from when you consider buying Cambodian oils.
So, what do you think of Oileen?
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

I have no idea, sorry. Not even one Google hit. Sure spelling is right?
Using Tapatalk
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Try 'olein'. Palm Oil.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Username Taken wrote:Try 'olein'. Palm Oil.
Makes sense if it's Cambodian. High smoke point, high in saturated fat.
Using Tapatalk
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

juansweetpotato wrote:So, what do you think of Oileen?
There seems to be a confusion between palm oil and coconut fat. Palm oil is just as neutral as coconut fat but it's not so good for high temperatures. Esp. that 'Oileen' brand begins to smoke quickly at relatively low temperatures. Perhaps a sign of low quality. I'm not sure.

Coconut fat come in bars, is absolutely neutral in taste and doesn't smoke even at very high temperatures. I've never seen it in Cambodia, but it's the best product when it comes to cooking at very high temperatures.

wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

The coconut oil is fantastic from what I've read. It needs to be 'virgin' for some reason. No gutter oil need apply.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic