Supernet

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Supernet

Post by Duncan »

Just saw this poster and was wondering if these guys are new in town?

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Eros
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Supernet

Post by Eros »

They opened their offices in 2013 and have been very busy with setting up their infrastructure since then, not sure how long they have been operational providing services but i think at least a year...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

Duncan wrote:Just saw this poster and was wondering if these guys are new in town?
It seems to be a Chinese media company claiming to be close to the Chinese government. Besides their ambition of being an ISP, providing internet access to the masses, they also want to be some kind of netflix.com (TV-like service) and beyond that replicate the successes of amazon.com, aliexpress.com, or taobao.com as an online marketplace.

I have had a look at their prices for internet access services: www.supernet.com.kh. In this already crowded Cambodian market, they are just way too expensive. They will never manage to take on existing providers such as Metfone, Ezecom or similar companies in order to acquire market share.

Concerning their netflixing ambitions, I wonder how much they intend to charge for their service? Netflix itself would never take off in Cambodia. Too expensive. There may indeed be a market for streaming video services, but nobody has been able to discover how to make money from that in Cambodia. Furthermore, Supernet does not particularly sound like they would be the creative innovators, capable of solving that intractable problem. Seriously, what intractable problems have they managed to solve in the past? Any links?

There is a good reason why there are no online marketplaces in Cambodia. There is simply no way to pay online for the average Cambodian shopper. Furthermore, credit -or debit cards are a non-starter. Whatever what, Supernet are clearly recruiting the wrong profiles in order to address that particular problem. They are also in the wrong industry and using the wrong licenses if they want to do anything about it. My take is that Supernet will gradually burn through their initial capital of 100 million dollars, and when the money is gone, they will pack their bags and leave to China again, like lots of companies before them. Cambodia is truly a graveyard for companies that are obviously just wannabes in their own domestic market.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Just reading that Supernet site and found it in English.
Prices page:
http://www.supernet.com.kh/service.php?id=21

This looks to be the best deal at the moment for a fast USB connection:
http://cellcard.com.kh/cellcard-internet
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic