What is the downside and upside of living abroad?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Fangzgreen
Tourist

Re: What is the downside and upside of living abroad?

Post by Fangzgreen »

I read all comments here... :)
So, I want to share my experience.
I'd always been living with my family until I finished my study and even working, I was living with my family, and I was surrounding by friends and family. However, just one event, it is change my life. And I decided to move out and to working and living at another country.
I never get used to sleep alone (I shared my room with my sister), so it's really hard for me at the first, and some more, I am totally alone at Kuala Lumpur, and it is not even my city / my country.. :(
At the first, I cried some other nights, and keep thinking did i make a wrong decision? I have no one here, nor even a friend. I stayed like that for almost a year at my studio apartment, and i went nowhere, except just office and my room, even though I have a car, I become a socially awkward.
Then, after a year, I decided, I need to change. I am living at the good city, even better than my home town, I went to explore, went to some events ; and finally having some good friends there. I never been happier at my life, when I staying alone, right until now, exploring myself and my surrounding. It teach me lots.
And now, after 3 years at KL, I have the new opportunity again, to move to Phnom Penh ; new job, better income, but, of course I have fears ; I already have friends here, my life here, why i should move again?
But, then again.. life is an adventure... :)
after this, I will do saving and want also to do backpacker alone to explore the world, I hope so..
I think i will give it a year at here at Cambodia.. :)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

^And why not?

I found the initial years away were the ones when I maybe got a little homesick. Nowadays it's over a decade later and those times are well behind me,
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

@ Fangzgreen, Thank so much for sharing. I think you will be okay living in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Phnom Penh is small and less developed comparing to kuala lumpur, but it is a charming city. There are so much going on in the city. I am local and if you don't mind we can be friend and i will show you around in your first week. :) BTW, if you play volleyball you can join us. we play every Wednesday.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Fangzgreen wrote:I read all comments here... :)
So, I want to share my experience.
I'd always been living with my family until I finished my study and even working, I was living with my family, and I was surrounding by friends and family. However, just one event, it is change my life. And I decided to move out and to working and living at another country.
I never get used to sleep alone (I shared my room with my sister), so it's really hard for me at the first, and some more, I am totally alone at Kuala Lumpur, and it is not even my city / my country.. :(
At the first, I cried some other nights, and keep thinking did i make a wrong decision? I have no one here, nor even a friend. I stayed like that for almost a year at my studio apartment, and i went nowhere, except just office and my room, even though I have a car, I become a socially awkward.
Then, after a year, I decided, I need to change. I am living at the good city, even better than my home town, I went to explore, went to some events ; and finally having some good friends there. I never been happier at my life, when I staying alone, right until now, exploring myself and my surrounding. It teach me lots.
And now, after 3 years at KL, I have the new opportunity again, to move to Phnom Penh ; new job, better income, but, of course I have fears ; I already have friends here, my life here, why i should move again?
But, then again.. life is an adventure... :)
after this, I will do saving and want also to do backpacker alone to explore the world, I hope so..
I think i will give it a year at here at Cambodia.. :)

How do you think I feel? I went from never leaving a 20km radius to moving in a 12 hour different time zone! :assasin:

The only thing I still have an issue is the way Khmer and Chinese drive. And the cutting me off online at a quick mart.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic