Is Cambodia Getting Better or Worse?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Is Cambodia Getting Better or Worse?

Post by Anchor Moy »

taabarang wrote:AM said, "but a lot of rice farmers' children (that I know personally) are now working in tourism,banks and engineering or running their own businesses. It's not as good as it could be or should be, but things are not "worse" for the young generation than for their parents. And kids nowadays expect more - and so they should.

Really? The farmers' children that I know personally from my village are either working in Thailand with their parents, or working in local brickyards or else 'kicking the wind"(unemployed)
Yeah these kids all left their village to work and go to school in town. Just realised that I know at least 8 guys who all come from the same village originally, all of whom are working or running a business. There was and still is a lot of mutual support - when a job comes up, if possible they will get someone else to come from the village, who will also go to school and better themself, and so on. It's not all roses; also know a couple who got into drink and drugs.
We are seeing this from a different perspective - you are in the village that is being left - I have seen them arriving in town and making a go of things.The going to school bit is very important. These kids are not from rich families; they are hard workers. Well, one of them married a rich chinese girl (and probably for her money IMO), but hey, he's a hansum boy - and very smart. LOL.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

If we talk about buildings, it'll be better, more taller buildings everywhere in the country. If we talk about employment in Cambodia, yes more expats come but the locals go. Most of people around 20-40 years old go to find jobs in neighbor countries such as Thailand, and Korea , Japan. How can I imagine this country will be better without pople in this good age?
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Those taller buildings going up in the suburbs are worsening the water/power supply issues exponentially, in my view.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I expect they will, eventually.

The reality is that we (in PP) are currently experiencing the most stable power supply, since forever.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote:I expect they will, eventually.

The reality is that we (in PP) are currently experiencing the most stable power supply, since forever.
Possibly, but the water pressure has dropped notably in under 12 months.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

StroppyChops wrote:
Username Taken wrote:I expect they will, eventually.

Possibly, but the water pressure has dropped notably in under 12 months.
I've have noticed the opposite. Last year, once or twice, especially in the early morning when tout Phnom Penh is having a shower etc., the pressure dropped so far the upstairs bathroom could not be used. This year, however, the pressure is much higher, well done PPWSA!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

They need to put reducers on in SNVl, pressure is so strong that it can take your arm off and it keeps blowing the bum guns up. Careful of the danglers!. Think: Swedish supermarket toilet on Beach Rd!
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:i dont want Cambodia to change, i dont want it to turn into another thailand, i enjoy the more stripped back affair they have here, there is a lot of things internally that need to change.. government/police/corruption.. but i dont want the place to lose its charm like thailand has..
Yeah, God forbid the Khmer get a middle class going like Thailand has.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

There's still plenty of charm in Thailand - away from Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, and any of the Southern Islands at least.

Cambodia's getting better as measured from the perspective of the local people (the only ones who really count) though not nearly fast enough from that same perpsective. Education, health, etc. are slowly improving. There is a rising middle class. Etc.

For me, I can't see any major improvements/dis-improvements over the last 3 years or so. I'm not particularly price sensitive and if anything, I'd say that many things here have no real inflationary issues on the shelf - even when they might at source.

I like the place today as much as I always have. Tomorrow? Who knows?
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Number of carpetbaggers and the related problems has grown, renting/buying property inflation, food, etc.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic