Landmines are still a Nightmare for Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Landmines are still a Nightmare for Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Battambang: A man went into the forest to look for some bamboo shoots, then he stepped on land-mine. It exploded and he lost one of his foot. It occurred around 10:15 am on 27 April 2015 at srereach village, sroung commune, samlout district, Battabang. After the incident, police and family brought the victim to provincial hospital for treatment.

Police said, around 10:30 am on 27 April 2015 at at srereach village, sroung commune, samlout district, Battabang, a man names Choun Beoung, male, 42 years old, occupation: farmer. He went into his farming filed in order to look for some bamboo shoots, then he stepped on landmine which caused him to lose of one his foot. Then police and family brought him for treatment at provincial hospital. Police said those landmines left behind by the war.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Landmine is still a nightmare for Cambodia

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Poor guy! Land mines kill and maim indiscriminately, a weapon used by cowards, that are usually leftover and still armed for decades after the end of a conflict.

It is interesting to note, but no surprise, that non-signatories of the Ottawa Treaty (the Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and on their Destruction) include a majority of the permanent members of the United Nations Security Council, including the United States, Russia and China.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

This reminded me when i was once in a village calls Trapeang Bei in Oddarmeanchey province. I went there to accompany some visitors who came to visit our projects areas. I was shocked almost all old people i met lost some parts of their limbs. They all injured with left over landmine from the war. Both sides of the route to the village are full of landmine with the sign of Danger. I was so scared travelling on that trail. Then, a week later after i arrived in PP. There was a report saving one landmine exploded and killed five people. The exploded landmine was actually under the trail that we drove on. I wish i don't have to go to that village again. This is such a nightmare.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I remember when I went to Prah Vihear temples, there was many land mines. We couldn't explore what we want, we had to look at the sign every time. I wonder if I want to do farming, I should check it first?
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:I remember when I went to Prah Vihear temples, there was many land mines. We couldn't explore what we want, we had to look at the sign every time. I wonder if I want to do farming, I should check it first?
I guess the landmine there were cleared out. was there during khmer New Year. I didn't see any signs.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:I remember when I went to Prah Vihear temples, there was many land mines. We couldn't explore what we want, we had to look at the sign every time. I wonder if I want to do farming, I should check it first?
I guess the landmine there were cleared out. was there during khmer New Year. I didn't see any signs.
Of course! The First time I went there was 2007. but when I went there again in 2009, there were no sign and safe from land mine. But that time we fought with Thailand often. I love Prahvihear temples so much but many Cambodian can't visit there even it is safe now.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Of course! The First time I went there was 2007. but when I went there again in 2009, there were no sign and safe from land mine. But that time we fought with Thailand often. I love Prahvihear temples so much but many Cambodian can't visit there even it is safe now.
When i was there it was flocked with all Cambodian. i have seen only 5 or 6 barang that included my three barang friends i travelled with. The full report is about to post haha

prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Come on,Samouth!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

One extremely lucky farmer...
Farmer’s plough turns up forty pieces of UXO

Thu, 4 June 2015
Khouth Sophak Chakrya

Farmers in Oddar Meanchey province’s Samroang district have voiced concern after one found 40 unexploded grenades and mortars as he ploughed a field over the weekend.

On Sunday morning, Heang Hak, 56, reported to the Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) that he stumbled across live, unexploded bombs on his property.

“When I was ploughing in order to uproot bushes, I realised I had run over a blue bag containing explosives with my tractor; they fell out of the bag, but did not explode,” Hak said. “I reported to CMAC that I found a total of 40 pieces of unexploded ordnance [UXOs], including eight M19 grenades and 32 80-millimetre mortars.”

Finding UXOs on farming property isn’t uncommon in Samroang district, according to Chum Sarouth, chief of police in the district’s Konkriel commune. Last month, Sarouth’s department assisted in the removal of 82 UXOs on farmers’ property, he said. Many of the explosive devices are currently being held at his police department, Sarouth said.

“[The land is] tainted, UXOs could explode if they are run over or from the heat,” Sarouth said. “This is why we have urged officials to inspect the area.”

Discovery of so many explosives in areas they harvest has left farmers in the area worried for their safety and livelihoods, said Neth Chhay Sroeun, chief of Sokdom Romear village.

So far this year, at least seven people have been killed by UXOs in Cambodia.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/f ... pieces-uxo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic