Deadly MERS virus outbreak in S. Korea

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Deadly MERS virus outbreak in S. Korea

Post by Anchor Moy »

On Tuesday, South Korea reported the first two deaths from the outbreak of Mers, an illness that is thought to originate in bats, and is passed on to humans by camels. It can trigger respiratory infections that can lead to pneumonia and kidney failure.
South Korea has confirmed five more cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (Mers), bringing the total number of cases in the country to 30.
The health ministry announced the new incidences of the virus on Wednesday, amid fears that the disease, which can be fatal, appears to be spreading.
Of the five new cases, four had been in the same hospital as the first patient, a 68-year-old man who had recently travelled to four countries in the Middle East, Reuters reported. ..
Mers is a relatively new disease, and was first identified in humans in Saudi Arabia in 2012. It is believed to be caused by a coronavirus from the same family as the one that triggered the deadly outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in 2003.
Yet Mers has a much higher death rate than SARS, and there is no cure or vaccine.
I'd like to bet that this will be the new health scam/test when entering Cambodia. Only $1 ! (On land border crossings.) After malaria, SARS and ebola...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 93714.html

Oh, and watch those camels, General :dragonchase:
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Deadly MERS virus outbreak in S. Korea

Post by TheGrinchSR »

I came in and out of the country constantly during the ebola scare... though the pointless form filling was done many times, I wasn't asked for any money at all...
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

They've been using one of those thermal imaging cameras to screen international arrivals at Pochentong for at least a year already, plus the useless forms, no payment asked, but land border crossings might be a different story(?).
Mers Virus Checks For All Foreigners Entering Thailand Via Poipet

Health officials started screening tourists entering Thailand from Cambodia via the Aranyaprathet border checkpoint from today to keep dirt and disease out the country following nasty outbreaks of the deadly Mers virus in China, Korea and the Middle East.

All foreigners, including Europeans, Asians and Middle Easterners who come over the border from Poipet will have their temperature taken and anyone with an usually high reading will be examined to determine the cause.

If they are found to be carrying some virus or other then they will … will … be sent back across the border into Cambodia? Given medical help? Shot on the spot? I can’t answer as the Thairath article didn’t say.

Immigration say over 1,000 people a day use the Aranyaprathet land crossing to enter Thailand and I’m guessing these new health checks will mean longer, much longer, processing times for travelers if they are screening every last person who comes over the border.

Not to mention all the people who are sweating like a glass blowers arse standing in line under the scorching sun who will likely top the acceptable 37C reading, meaning they will need to hang about with all the other sweaty Betty’s until a doctor gives them the all-clear.

Happy days for border runners using this crossing.

http://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/mer ... ia-poipet/
Images via thairath.co.th
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

The very first time I came into Cambodia was through the Laos border in 2011. Everybody passing the border had their temp checked with an ear-thermometer so it did not take much time, for this pleasure we were asked to pay $1 and were issued a so called 'Health Notice' and then allowed into Cambodia.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@ PSD- Kiwi - good find.
Health officials started screening tourists entering Thailand from Cambodia via the Aranyaprathet border checkpoint from today to keep dirt and disease out the country following nasty outbreaks of the deadly Mers virus in China, Korea and the Middle East.
I hope they are asking them silly questions like "Have you recently been in proximity to a camel ?"
Pretty sure that this will take off in Cambodia as well.

@Grinch - have been asked $1 for "health check" on land borders from Laos and Vietnam. Didn't pay, and I got treated as a malaria-carrying scurge at the Laos border. LOL: "You bring malaria to my country, not good." Yeah right.
Never been asked for money at Pochentong, just more forms to fill in.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Camels? So we now have more to thank the mid-east camel fuc*ers for. Its not enough to bomb, kill, rape, ethnic cleanse, they are now spreading a new plague. Thanks A-rabs.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Fucking GM, knew he had a devious plan to wipe out 440 by going to Saudi, but I didn't think it involved screwing camels bareback.

Sailorman, there are also Jews in the schmiddle east, I know it's easy to forget, since they don't have much impact on world affairs, but it's true.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic