R9 Series GPUs, 1200 watt PSUs, AMD Gigabyte MOBOs and more

This is where you can buy and sell anything you want in Cambodia! There is no 'Craigslist Cambodia,' so this is the next best thing. Most items for sale are in Phnom Penh, but this is a buy and sell section for the whole country. Many expats and tourists have new and used items to sell, so anyone can list them here. CEO has no part in these sales, so buyers and sellers need to get in contact with each other themselves. You're always welcome to list items you're giving away for free, as we encourage the community to give when they can. Amazon and eBay ship select items to Cambodia, but you save time and money when you do things locally.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Re: R9 Series GPUs, 1200 watt PSUs, AMD Gigabyte MOBOs and m

Post by FreeSocrates! »

Ah ok, nothing like that. Would be very surprised if you could find that here.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
Advertisement
CamboQuick Cambodia Amazon Shipping
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

OrangeDragon wrote:not dual core, dual CPU... each of which would be dual/quad core.
Each of which would be quad core?

What would be the purpose of having dual CPU's with dual core? That's 4 cores, why not one quad core?
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Dual CPUs with each being quad core would be 8 cores... a lot of the work I do is on a specific product which uses a single core PER search that's running. Given that a single dashboard may have 4-8 charts on it, each running it's own search to populate, that uses them up REALLY fast. What I end up with are really slow dashboards because they have to wait their turn... would be nice to have a machine that could really fly with them.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Two physically separate CPUs, FS, each of which are quad core. Provides truer multitasking - as per back when graphics cards started being built with their own GPUs
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

^ Yeah I got that now.

How common is it to have 2 CPU's in a personal computer?

I think alot of servers have like 4 if I'm not mistaken.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

FreeSocrates! wrote:^ Yeah I got that now.

How common is it to have 2 CPU's in a personal computer?

I think alot of servers have like 4 if I'm not mistaken.
Oh, I'd LOVE a 4.

But 2 will do. It's not that common for end users, but not that uncommon for power users like developers and designers (generally designers working with stuff that has heavy rendering cycles).
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Dual CPU boards are becoming common now, manufacturers offer them as the 'next' option in series. IIRC you can run then with a single CPU so it's not unforeseeable to buy a dual board if you're into building your own kit, on the basis that you might want to add a CPU later. A little like the days of empty memory slots. Not sure if dual CPUs need to be paired though.

Oh, and dedicated servers are slightly different architecture, usually greater pipeline.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:Oh, I'd LOVE a 4.

But 2 will do. It's not that common for end users, but not that uncommon for power users like developers and designers (generally designers working with stuff that has heavy rendering cycles).
Ever played with Silicon Graphics gear? I studied media/animation years ago in an SG lab and this stuff is still the dream.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

you do need to pair them if you run 2... the one catch. it can be hard to get a second copy of an older chip down the road, so you may have to upgrade anyway.

and yes, servers use xeon processors... slightly different bus i believe.

never played with SG stuff, but I have had my hands on the cell processor arrays IBM made. pure sex for multithreaded server apps like data miners and data processors. spun up 1000 threads each only lasting a few ms, but all running side by side. what should have taken about 3-4 seconds was done nearly instantly.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:never played with SG stuff, but I have had my hands on the cell processor arrays IBM made. pure sex for multithreaded server apps like data miners and data processors. spun up 1000 threads each only lasting a few ms, but all running side by side. what should have taken about 3-4 seconds was done nearly instantly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic