Deja vu?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Deja vu?

Post by vladimir »

I know you've seen this thread already, but...

Ever have it?

I was watching a movie I'd never seen before 'Pig' last night, and I knew what was coming in the next scene...scary.

I had it once near Kampong Cham, first time I'd ever been there. I asked the driver to stop, yet I knew what was coming around the corner, three houses up on the hill to the left. My wife was freaked out that I knew in advance.

wtf is this?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Deja vu?

Post by Milord »

Funny you know. As I read the CEO thread on K440. I PM to GMack about making a copy of it as I sensed it ending. Sure enough about 4 posts later it was locked.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

NO, NO, NO,

That's deja poo.

This is different...
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Actually it's premonition not deja vu.
sure
Expatriate

Post by sure »

i get it alot, it still freaks me out :/
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

our brains operate on predictive models. it predicts a few milli seconds ahead for nearly everything we do (this is how optical illusions work, by tricking the part in charge of that into thinking the image will be moving when it actually doesn't). sometimes, when things line up a certain way, it can go further with that and we feel like we've predicted the future... and in a sense we have. it could easily have been wrong, and often is, but we don't pay as much attention to those cases as when it's right... in part because our brain is trained to focus on "right" and use it to better tune itself.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Or, life as we understand it is an illusion...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

StroppyChops wrote:Or, life as we understand it is an illusion...
Essentially. Immediate short term memory is more reliable, as it's been confirmed. Long term memories are prone to "gap filling" by the brain though.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Mm. And we also store to long term memory an event (item of learning, whatever) as we have processed it, that is, after we have filtered it according to our perceptions, biases, conditioning, experience etc., which is why two people can genuinely have different recollections of the same event once time has passed. "But you said X,Y and Z." "No, I specifically said A, B and C."

And then we add a (often gender differenced) level, "Oh, but what you MEANT was..."

How did we get here?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I knew you were going to say that SC!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic