SERIOUS QUESTION

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

SERIOUS QUESTION

Post by Samouth »

How do you all define a successful life?

I actually don't know if i am too young to think about this. I just recently feel like i am so confusing and find myself in the middle of no where. I don't know what to do and plan for the future. It seems like i am stuck in one place, no moving. Looking to my classmates, most of them are so successful in their works and lives. Some of them got married and already have one or two kids and they also have car and house while i have nothing. :(
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: SERIOUS QUESTION

Post by Anchor Moy »

Nothing too profound, but maybe NOT being married with a couple of kids at your age is a sort of success. Because you don't have a family who relies on you, you can make choices just for yourself. You're 22 right ? Enjoy being young; it doesn't last long.
No plans ? Make some. Think what you would do if you could do anything/everything. Then work out what you can do to make your life more like you would like it to be. Change jobs, start your own business, do more studies or learn another language to get a job overseas or whatever.
And don't compare yourself to other people. "Success"is being happy with yourself and your life, not what other people think. It doesn't mean having a car and a house and a wife and 3 kids (and working your ass off to pay for things you don't want.)
I think the main question to ask yourself is "What do you want?" "What can you do?" Then go for it.
And have fun - very important. :Yahoo!:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Achieving your self set goals as parts of a greater plan.
wasabi
Expatriate

Post by wasabi »

Serious answer Samouth, try the other site and meet Jessy! You both are missing what you both are looking for!
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

I met an old school friend the other day.

He's working for British American Tobacco.

stay-at-home wife and two kids.

Drives a Toyota Camry.

Lives in townhouse at Borey Peng Hout.

....And he says I'm wasting my life.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

"You've seen your birth your life and death
you might recall all of the rest
Did you have a good world when you died?
Enough to base a movie on?"

Jim Morrison
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Jim Morrison, narcissistic arsehole, last person I'd take advice from about almost anything.

Except maybe how to write (a few) decent songs.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

If you look at what other people have, you're always going to find they have something you don't.

When I had a motorcycle, my friends had a bigger motorcycle.

When I had a bigger motorcycle, my friends had a car.

When I had a car, my friends had a nicer car.

When I had a nicer car, my friends had two cars.

When I had two cars, they had a house.

When I bought a house, they had a wife and kids.

However when I crashed and burned, a lot of my friends stopped talking to me. Only my true friends didn't care about any of that. That's when I realized it didn't matter, and ever since then, I've been happy with what I have, even if it is very little.

I promise Samouth, having things like a car, house, wife/kids can be a good thing, but you don't need them to be happy. I've had some very nice cars, a nice house, lived in a "nice" country, and even had some very pretty girlfriends (one of which a semi famous model). Those who know me in Cambodia can vouch for who I am. But those things are just those. They are things and not necessary for happiness of for being successful.

I know it's hard to do, but you have to look at yourself and realize what you have done. I don't know who you are, but I can tell you at least one thing and that your written English is very good. In fact, it's the best I've seen from a Cambodian, and that's saying something because my wife went to university in the U.S. and passed with high marks all of her English classes. Sometimes when you look to yourself, you'll find you're surprised that other people look up to you, even if they don't say so.

Cheer up friend
-insert signature here
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The people who can be happy with little are the truly rich people on this planet.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic