Australia's New Illegal Immigration Contoversy

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Australia's New Illegal Immigration Contoversy

Post by FreeSocrates! »

Interesting video, for me I'm not sure what to think about this one.

On one hand I think they aren't Australian Citizens, so what responsibility does Australia really have to take care of them?

On the other hand I don't know what to think?

This is a tough one for me.

I really wanna try some of that Roti.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Australia's New Illegal Immigration Contoversy

Post by OrangeDragon »

FreeSocrates! wrote: On one hand I think they aren't Australian Citizens, so what responsibility does Australia really have to take care of them?
Australia's obligation falls under the same obligation all countries who have signed the CRSR treaty...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention ... Convention

Particularly:
"No Contracting State shall expel or return ('refouler') a refugee in any manner whatsoever to the frontiers of territories where his life or freedom would be threatened on account of his race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social or political opinion" (Article 33(1)).

So they've entered into an agreement, and now are obligated to fulfill their role in it. However instead of doing that, they're offsetting it to a 3rd party who is completely ill equipped to receive and care for refugees, and who will most likely pocket said monies Australia is donating for that care and toss the refugees into the gutters with the rest of it's citizens. Or... and potentially worse... actually provide a level of care for them (though I have zero belief that 100% of the monies will go to this) above that provided the poor Khmer, which will incite racial resentment and trigger multiple outbreaks of racial violence.

Every way you slice it it's a terrible idea... especially with the pocket stuffing old guard in place.

The ideal would be that they take them and that the money is split between caring for them and improving the quality of life for the poor Khmer who live here, making the Khmer citizens grateful for them and the program as a whole and diffusing the racial tensions. When that happens we'll also see real life unicorns, flying pigs, Vlad getting his law degree, and 3 days of sane and orderly traffic on Cambodian roadways.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Australia's New Illegal Immigration Contoversy

Post by OrangeDragon »

Though I want to know where those guys are selling indian street bread!!! I'll support them!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic