Getting A Lot Of 20K Notes Lately ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Getting A Lot Of 20K Notes Lately ?

Post by John Bingham »

Some shops, Lucky Supermarket for example, do give a BS/outdated exchange rate and any amount below 100 riel will be rounded up to their advantage. There are others (probably not so many but they exist)like Cambodian Superstore on 1986 who round it up to the customer's advantage.
juansweetpotato wrote:OTOH, If a KFC server makes 100 on every transaction per shift, they will make a few bucks extra. I would think they are very poorly paid so i don't mind 100R.
Do you seriously believe that a cashier working for one of these franchises can do that without it being noticed? They use a POS system, and give receipts which print the exact amount tendered and change due.

juansweetpotato wrote:It's the absolute fuckers that charge double and more after 5 years of living here that get my wrath and have flavored the whole of Cambodia with a soupcon of shit for me. Same in Vietnam, but to a lesser/ different extent.
Can you expand on this more, it's not the first time you have contended something like this, and I still don't get it.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i've actually got a 20k in my wallet from yesterday, have been getting a lot more Riel than usual, espesh from the supermarkets, i dont mind too much though tbh, i prefer using Riel now, as most places i buy things now work in Riel, and now i understand the khmer language a lot more i can understand when im being told something costs 3500rl instead of just panicking and giving them $5 and hoping for some change, the only time i really use dollar now is in resteraunts and bars where the bill comes in dollars
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:i've actually got a 20k in my wallet from yesterday, have been getting a lot more Riel than usual, espesh from the supermarkets, i dont mind too much though tbh, i prefer using Riel now, as most places i buy things now work in Riel, and now i understand the khmer language a lot more i can understand when im being told something costs 3500rl instead of just panicking and giving them $5 and hoping for some change, the only time i really use dollar now is in resteraunts and bars where the bill comes in dollars
Jamie, i know i am bad. As Cambodian, i should use more riel, but most of the time i used USD. i think you appreciate my country than i do. :(
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I pull $50 worth of riel (~ 200K) from the ATM all the time. 20K is 5 bucks, regardless of exchange rate.
The riel/USD exchange rate movements are barely worth noticing. Been the same for the past 15+ years. 1 USD = 4000 riel ( or thereabouts).
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Username Taken wrote:I pull $50 worth of riel (~ 200K) from the ATM all the time. 20K is 5 bucks, regardless of exchange rate.
The riel/USD exchange rate movements are barely worth noticing. Been the same for the past 15+ years. 1 USD = 4000 riel ( or thereabouts).
i have never pulled up riel from ATM, before i didn't even think that it is available in ATM. I am ashamed now as people here use riel more than me.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Samouth wrote:
Username Taken wrote:I pull $50 worth of riel (~ 200K) from the ATM all the time. 20K is 5 bucks, regardless of exchange rate.
i have never pulled up riel from ATM, before i didn't even think that it is available in ATM. I am ashamed now as people here use riel more than me.
When you open a bank account you're asked which currency you want it in, and can then only operate it in that currency. Some banks will allow you to withdraw in the other currency, but you'll be penalised for it.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cambodian Public Bank gives you a choice of currencies. I often withdraw Riel as it comes in 10,000 notes rather than $10/$20/$50 which are a little harder to change. As I'm paid in dollars, so that stays constant while the Riel fluctuates. A month or so back it was exactly 4000 to $1, recently it's gone down a bit.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Getting lots more riel in change for the last year or so maybe. I don't have a problem with that - the dollar/riel is reasonably stable. Also, it's good to have small bills for negociating.

The biggest shit is the tourists who pay their small hotel/guesthouse bills with a $100 note and complain about getting riel instead of dollars in change. When everyone checks out in the morning with $100 bills, sometimes there is not enough $ to go around. And some tourists seem to think that the riel is inferior to the dollar - the exchange rate is not really significant for someone who is here on holiday. But they think they are getting ripped off. :facepalm:
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

On $100 change @ 4000/$ instead of 4080 they are getting ripped - for big $2.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic