If You Have Something Random to Say About Khmer440.com

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: If You Have Something Random to Say About Khmer440.com

Post by vladimir »

Kuroneko wrote:Image
I agree, Cambodia needs a clean, honest government like 'Murrika, the UK or Australia.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

CJM555 wrote:
John Bingham wrote:
Samouth wrote:This thread is too long to read to understand more about khmer 440. However i am wondering if this is true, at khmer 440 every threads involving local/khmer, posters tend to look down us?
I don't agree. There have been Cambodian posters on there for many years, there are at least 3 who still post regularly. Anyone who keeps "looking down" on Khmers will be called out for it. Some of the worst offenders have migrated to this site.

3 local posters in over 10 years - Wowser, that is progress.
Maybe I should have phrased that better, but there have been dozens of Cambodian posters over the years. At least 3 I know of still post regularly. The others just post from time to time. One of the obstacles to having more Cambodians on these boards is that the language used here often contains slang, colloquialisms and references which don't lend themselves to interaction by even the best of second language speakers.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
badboybubby
Expatriate
Australia

Post by badboybubby »

John Bingham wrote: One of the obstacles to having more Cambodians on these boards is that the language used here often contains slang, colloquialisms and references which don't lend themselves to interaction by even the best of second language speakers
and irony though i'm not sure that there's no local equivalent...must be...

i also think that beyond the literal aspects of the language we relate differently so that can add to the confusion and misunderstanding...eg we're more direct/open in our communication which can be quite confronting for locals...

probably another thread...
badboybubby
Expatriate
Australia

Post by badboybubby »

Kuroneko wrote: Without insight and understanding, good intentions are insufficient. As we all know "The road to hell is paved with good intentions
i think that''s true but i wouldn't be too harsh...you can always acquire knowledge etc but i'm not sure that good intentions are as easy to come by...i'm assuming that good intentions and good are one and the same thing though...

probably another one for a different thread...
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

takeoman wrote:
vladimir wrote:Permabans were for people who consistently got banned and didn't respond positively, iow do what admin wanted.

I argued against almost every ban because in most cases, some arse-creeper started shit with me then when I responded he relied on buddies in admin.

I received more than one PM where the sender agreed that the mod had been too harsh on me, and several times bans were shortened/overturned, gavinmac can testify to the latter.

Normally when you get banned, you get a PM saying when you are banned until. My last banning did not state for how long, so I assumed it was permanent, but some people have said it's not.

The system now may work as you describe it, but it certainly didn't when the Prince of Darkness was at the helm. I challenged KiR approximately three times, the result, immediately after the last occasion I was tossed into the outer darkness, account closed, all posts removed, no notification no chance to challenge the decision. His website, his call,life goes on.
As the owner of 440 is one of the "some people" who say you're not permanently banned,indeed that you merely got a week off, it does indeed raise the question why the others were treated much more harshly than you. :hattip:
There is no real process over there. I was permabanned despite never being banned even once previously and always posting within the parameters of their stated rules.

Vladimir has been treated differently. This should be no surprise.

A) He was one of the longest tenured posters over there
B) He knows many people personally
C) He is a huge volume poster --- and $$$$ motivated forum hosts need huge volume posters
D) They were able to try to "Control" him via gang-banging, temporary bans, and threats there-of

Things began to change on the thread about Gaza/Israel, because some very insecure people who do not like having their ideas challenged were having a real tough time of it on that thread. This is where scoobz started attacking and threatening me -- because part of his clique got really frustrated at how badly Jacked Camry was faring in that discussion.

When Jacked Camry threw a temper tantrum on that thread and threatened to leave, Scoobz appeased him by locking the thread. I protested most vigorously --- but significantly, so did other posters, so scoobz was forced to reopen it and was rightfully embarrassed.

They will tolerate other view points only up to the point where they feel they can control them via gang-banging, personal attacks, deleting posts, threatening bannings etc. They LOST control on that discussion because none of their usual tactics were working.

Scoobz did not like his authority challenged (as Vlad often did) ; so when I called him out on the "Vlad MIA' for banning Vlad while allowing members of a certain clique of backslappers to insult him, ban he went ape-shit, lost it and nuked me.

Who is going to nuke? The poster with 20,000 posts (Vlad? ) Or with 1,000 posts (Me)? This is how his mind works.

This has never been about treating Vlad as a "favorite" or "protecting him" ... it is about trying to exploit him for his post count while at the same time seeing that the "balance of power" in terms of forum discussion will always remain in the hands of a little clique of backslappers.

Cheers,

RD
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

John Bingham wrote:
Samouth wrote:This thread is too long to read to understand more about khmer 440. However i am wondering if this is true, at khmer 440 every threads involving local/khmer, posters tend to look down us?
I don't agree. There have been Cambodian posters on there for many years, there are at least 3 who still post regularly. Anyone who keeps "looking down" on Khmers will be called out for it. Some of the worst offenders have migrated to this site.
Bullshit. Name them please -- still active this month. And Joon does not count as she is both French and Admin.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

StroppyChops wrote:
Captain Steve Rogers wrote:
badboybubby wrote:captain with all due respect i can see how the idea of "educating the populace (locals) to have more humanity" could get you in trouble...it comes across as somewhat arrogant and 'colonial'...

i'm not saying that that's how you mean it, it just comes across like that...
I know it sounds that way but on the contrary my friend :) I'm full of good intentions and only wish nothing but the best for these people. Thanks for the heads up Image
It might be good to express how it's different to how it sounds. A big focus in Christian circles at the moment is "lose the hero complex" for anyone working overseas. Basically if you're not coming with a 'servants heart' you need to check your motivations...
I have no axe to grind with the Captain, but his postings are so exaggerated in terms of stereotypes of American-DoGooder-Wannabees that I have wondered if he is just an Anti-American type taking the piss in the form of presenting such an exaggerated character.

"I'm full of good intentions ..." :facepalm:

Just does not sound real

Cheers,

RD
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

badboybubby wrote:
John Bingham wrote: One of the obstacles to having more Cambodians on these boards is that the language used here often contains slang, colloquialisms and references which don't lend themselves to interaction by even the best of second language speakers
and irony though i'm not sure that there's no local equivalent...must be...

i also think that beyond the literal aspects of the language we relate differently so that can add to the confusion and misunderstanding...eg we're more direct/open in our communication which can be quite confronting for locals...

probably another thread...
Interesting topic. Think I will start one.

Cheers,

RD
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

I don't think Vlads post count has anything to do with it, as they were thinking of limiting post counts. Nor are they exploiting him! If post counts were so important, they could carpet bomb the forum with vapid one liners and irritating absurdities like vlads, and wouldn't ban any high post members whatsoever.
wasabi
Expatriate

Post by wasabi »

Rain Dog wrote:
John Bingham wrote:
Bullshit. Name them please -- still active this month. And Joon does not count as she is both French and Admin.
SSIDS
Master Donut Baker
Jessy
Joon
Sinat
ppenh
virak
oh - and Raz........... to name just a few....... :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic