Help with Canon EOS 350d please

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Help with Canon EOS 350d please

Post by TheGrinchSR »

A shutter replacement is almost guaranteed to cost more than the camera... that's why Canon camera's viable lives are measured in shuttercount... that camera has a lifespan of 50K shots in common with most lower end Canon cameras. Real Canon batteries cost an arm and a leg too... I think I'd stall on buying the battery and the card and chuck it in for a Canon service first (try I-Qlick - the official Canon dealer in Cambodia). The problem sounds more like a circuitry fault than anything else. They also have a decent deal on a 1200D if it's not cost-effective to repair.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

TheGrinchSR wrote:A shutter replacement is almost guaranteed to cost more than the camera... that's why Canon camera's viable lives are measured in shuttercount... that camera has a lifespan of 50K shots in common with most lower end Canon cameras. Real Canon batteries cost an arm and a leg too... I think I'd stall on buying the battery and the card and chuck it in for a Canon service first (try I-Qlick - the official Canon dealer in Cambodia). The problem sounds more like a circuitry fault than anything else. They also have a decent deal on a 1200D if it's not cost-effective to repair.
The more I've played with it the more I think the battery is not discharging correctly after a certain amount of use - enough action for the onboard computer but not the shutter mechanism. Definitely not going replace the shutter, but might spring for a service in Bangkok next week.

I bought a cherry 400d today at under $200 including the kit 18-55mm, bag, hood, manuals etc. - absolutely delighted with it. Confident in the seller's claim of less than 5k actuations. Even had a quality 1Gb CF card. Tried the newer battery in the 350d and got a better response. If the 350d continues to behave I'll sell it to recover some costs.

I believe the shutter count limit on the 350d is 100k, and that this is a 'reasonable service life' rather than an actual time to die.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jockey
Expatriate

Post by Jockey »

^ What does cherry mean StroppyChops?

Anyway, that sounds like a great deal on the 400d. Where did you find it?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jockey wrote:^ What does cherry mean StroppyChops?

Anyway, that sounds like a great deal on the 400d. Where did you find it?
Cherry = like new.

I bought the 400d online from a great bloke who said he had a lot of interest from people who couldn't accept there was nothing wrong with it for that price. Their loss is very much my gain.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic