The Trolls And Keyboard Warriors Come Out To Play

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

The Trolls And Keyboard Warriors Come Out To Play

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Was reading this, and it sums up a lot of what I see on both forums and Cambodia related FB groups quite often...

Trolls, nutters, weirdos, know-it-alls, know-fuck-alls… Thai-centric online life is like the wild west of the interwebs. And it’s not restricted to any one medium. From social network sites like Facebook and Twitter to online communities such as Reddit and the infamous Thai forums – somewhere I NEVER venture – the majority of people sharing their thoughts are from a world I don’t understand.

I’ve worked online for a long time and I know what I’ve described above is common all over the webs, it just seems more highlighted in Thailand as the expat population isn’t that big and too many people have little else to do with their time other than troll, throw grenades around causing trouble and trash talk others.

It’s one thing to have a bit of banter and poke fun but all too often the toys get thrown out the pram and what started as a joke and a laugh goes tits up when someone has either had enough, can’t take a joke or reads too much into something said and twists it to be deliberately offended.

And boy how some expats just love to be offended and often go out their way to be offended, even if it’s on behalf of someone else or some “worthy” cause.

It is just too much negativity for me and that sort of talk just ends up dragging you down and ruining your day. It’s best avoided at all costs otherwise I’d just turn into a Prophet Of Doom like the troll. I’ll pass on that, thanks very much.
Continue reading more here... http://www.stickboybangkok.com/opinion/ ... come-play/
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: The Trolls And Keyboard Warriors Come Out To Play

Post by vladimir »

Is stickboy a spin-off of stickman?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

vladimir wrote:Is stickboy a spin-off of stickman?
No idea to be honest, saw it on a friends page and checked it out...maybe Stickman's got a son living in Thailand :?:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

he may be an anti stick
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

frank lee bent wrote:he may be an anti stick
There was one before - notstickman.com. Some guy who manufactured motorcycle parts in Issan (or somewhere) got pissed at Stick and posted a review-rebuttal of Stick's column weekly for years. He had to be pretty PO-ed. It was well done & had to have cost him a lot of cake.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

wackyjacky wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:he may be an anti stick
There was one before - notstickman.com. Some guy who manufactured motorcycle parts in Issan (or somewhere) got pissed at Stick and posted a review-rebuttal of Stick's column weekly for years. He had to be pretty PO-ed. It was well done & had to have cost him a lot of cake.
That dude was a complete nutter. Apparently he hated Stickman because Stickman once turned down a coffee date with him or something.
angsta
Expatriate
Congo

Post by angsta »

Yeah he was an American nutter from Nong Khai who had a small factory up on the border. He started targeting the Thai teachers and Stickman's school so he was tracked down and allegedly told to fuck off or face the consequences. I remember seeing that site around 2006.

Stickboy is just keeping up the SE Asian tradition of robbing someone elses name/idea because you are too lazy to think of your own. Yes Boom Boom music I am looking at you.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yes Boom Boom music I am looking at you.
???
:popcorn:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic