Website unreachable for 3 days now

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Website unreachable for 3 days now

Post by OrangeDragon »

But if an outage costs you $100 in missed business and a hosting provider was only $50... which is the bigger expense?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

$50ebsite unreachable for 3 days now

Post by taabarang »

OD, I'm very happy for you that you have enough money to not understand my problem. I don't have an "extra" $50/per month. I would gladly have your wealth, but not your lack of sensitivity. Shades of the old 440 reappear.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: $50ebsite unreachable for 3 days now

Post by OrangeDragon »

taabarang wrote:OD, I'm very happy for you that you have enough money to not understand my problem. I don't have an "extra" $50/per month. I would gladly have your wealth, but not your lack of sensitivity. Shades of the old 440 reappear.
I'm not criticizing you... don't be so defensive please. I'm trying to put it to you in business terms of which expense is greater... a free and unreliable provider who costs you money, or a cheap but reliable one.

if the free one costs you more than the cheap one, you are throwing away more 'extra' by using them.

I'm not even bucking for a client... as I generally only provide hosting for my development clients because it's a pain in the ass to manage and $50 a year is a pretty cheap cost for a high end server, but the money i make in the development makes it worth it. I was trying to be nice and extending it to you as well, considering you've been a good contributor here (if a little defensive rather regularly) and made it sound as if the site was critical to your revenue stream and putting something so critical in the hands of people who take a week to respond to an outage seems dangerous.

But thanks for the insults in response.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

OrangeDragon wrote:
taabarang wrote:OD, I'm very happy for you that you have enough money to not understand my problem. I don't have an "extra" $50/per month. I would gladly have your wealth, but not your lack of sensitivity. Shades of the old 440 reappear.
I'm not criticizing you... don't be so defensive please. I'm trying to put it to you in business terms of which expense is greater... a free and unreliable provider who costs you money, or a cheap but reliable one.

if the free one costs you more than the cheap one, you are throwing away more 'extra' by using them.

I'm not even bucking for a client... as I generally only provide hosting for my development clients because it's a pain in the ass to manage and $50 a year is a pretty cheap cost for a high end server, but the money i make in the development makes it worth it. I was trying to be nice and extending it to you as well, considering you've been a good contributor here (if a little defensive rather regularly) and made it sound as if the site was critical to your revenue stream and putting something so critical in the hands of people who take a week to respond to an outage seems dangerous.

But thanks for the insults in response.
+1. Taabarang, OD was trying to explain the concept of 'false economy', or put more simply, being 'penny wise and pound foolish'. Spending $50 on a website in order to make it work will help your business. You probably spent money on your place to make it a bit more appealing to guests, didn't you? Consider this as a similar business cost.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

agree with od

having a good provider is very important as is having your OWN url./domain name

http://rana.-ruralhomestay-cambodia.webs.com/
vs
http://www.rana_homestay_cambodia.com

Spend the extra cash, you will ot only feel better but rank better
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

upgrading the domain name to your own domain is only important if you're not getting all the traffic you want. if you're making as many bookings as you need... then there's no need to do so.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

If telling the truth is being defensive so be it. Better than being an offensive sob. And if telling me that value for money is important strikes you as being something I would never have thought of without your help. Well, you're wrong.
When I said my monthly budget for four people is $400/per month, that is the truth. You of course can't imagine it. No, you're not insulting me, but you sure as hell are talking down to me. So, for those that helped thanks, for those who think they are the preacher, no thanks. And Phuketrichard, read my words carefully, when I say there is no "extra" money; that is exactly what it means. I don't waste words. 440 is back and alive.

Here is what webs.com support has to say:

Status (UPDATED 6/3/2014):

Thanks to the information provided by folks in this topic, we have been able to determine that users in the Asia Pacific region are having their connections blocked at a backbone internet provider before they are able to connect to our servers. We are reaching out to the internet provider to work with them to determine why this is occurring.

We also suggest contacting your ISP to alert them to the issue, as this may help expedite the backbone provider's response to this block.

Please continue to comment with the information requested if you have not done so already so we can help resolve the issue for everyone.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote:Shades of the old 440 reappear.
Sigh - the mock outrage is really getting old.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

While I would not argue with reasons for having a site that costs a bit as opposed to a free one, I have been dealing with webs.com for over five years and this is the first time I experienced this problem. And they have solved it.
THE SITE IS UP AND RUNNING AGAIN!
This was the crux of the problem:

"Thanks to the information provided by folks in this topic, we have been able to determine that users in the Asia Pacific region are having their connections blocked at a backbone internet provider before they are able to connect to our servers. A regional backbone internet provider is the company that connects all ISPs in one area to other regions of the world.

We are continuing to do everything we can on our end to resolve this blockage. We have reached out to ISPs and to the backbone internet provider for the Asia Pacific region that is blocking access to our servers but they have not been responsive."

I feel that webs.com worked in a timely fashion to resolve a problem that affected many users. I was just like to know who in SE Asia took it upon themselves to block a series of webs.com sites.
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

It may be up and running, but:
The address you mentioned in the OP (http://rana.-ruralhomestay-cambodia.webs.com/) gives this as a result:
'Sorry, this page was not found.
Looks like the page you were looking for is no longer available.'
:whip:
Locked Previous topicNext topic